MS updates crashing two different computers

<p>Is anyone else having issues with the latest round of MS Windows updates pushed out this past week? I have two very different Windows 7 64 bit machines; one is an almost new Dell Intel and the other is an older AMD. Different antivirus, different programs on each. After the updates and the reboot they would start okay once. On the next boot however, just after the "Starting Windows" logo I'd get the BSOD. So I went into System Restore, which I guess rolls back the updates, on one machine and it restarted okay. A day later, the updates were pushed back on and the same thing: crash. I went searching on the web and it seems other people are having the same problem. Some smart guy or gal narrowed the problem down to one file in the X:\Windows\System32 folder, FNTCACHE.DAT. If you delete this one file everything is fine again. So I got into a command prompt and deleted that file. So far, everything is groovy after I did this on both machines. Seems odd that I'd get this on both my computers and it not being a huge widespread problem. From the web chatter it only affects Windows 7 64 bit systems.</p>

<p>Al</p>

<p>Ugh, again? A glitch with Win7 auto-updates a few months ago disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and interfered with subsequent auto-updates.</p>

<p>Oh, well, it can't be easy to stay ahead of the hackers. All things considered I have very few gripes about Windows 7. It usually works well, including with my software dating back to Windows 98/ME, and doesn't demand constant attention.</p>

I had a problem once that involved Windows Update.<br>I was running Window 98 at the time. Always installed all updates. Which meant i was running an up to date system. When installing Nikon Scan on the machine, the Nikon installer software complained about Windows 98 not supporting Firewire. Which it may not have, fresh out of the box. But after plenty updates it did, and i had Firewire connections running without any problem. But the Nikon software didn't test for Firewire function. It just looked at the Windows version and displaying an annoying ignorance about update policies refused to go on.<br><br>Updating Windows systems is quite complex. There are so many different configurations. But on the whole it works well. I even had Windows Update recover a computer from a fault introduced by the computer manufacturer's own updates.<br>But obviously, things can and will go wrong now and again.<br><br>Somehow, i am more at peace with the idea of having to roll back updates that went wrong than with the idea of having a system working perfectly fine and have some bit of software saying it does not because it is too stupid to know that it does.

<p>I subscribe to various Microsoft mailing lists. Last Friday 15 August 2014, I received an e-mail from Microsoft stating that Security Bulletin MS14-045 had been re-released due to problems with patch 2982791. Here is the excerpt:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>- <a href="https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-045">https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-045</a><br /> - Reason for Revision: V2.0 (August 15, 2014): Bulletin revised<br /> to remove Download Center links for Microsoft security update <br /> 2982791. Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this <br /> update. See the Update FAQ for details.<br /> - Originally posted: August 12, 2014<br /> - Updated: August 15, 2014<br /> - Bulletin Severity Rating: Important<br /> - Version: 2.0</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am not having any problems with the patch, but others are. You might consider following the instructions under Known Issue 3 in this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:<br /> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791</p>