MR-9 adapter question

<p>as you already know the specifired mercury cell is no longer legally available.<br>

Most of use use the 675 zinc-oxide hearing aid cell. but it is an " asprin tablet" and does not have<br>

a flange like the 625. I and others have the same problem with our canonet 28 cameras.<br>

The cell in the canonet slides in edgewise.<br>

If the cell is straight in it should be ok to use a 675 with a bit of foil.<br>

there is no equivelend shape in hearing aid cells.<br>

the alkainine cel gives either high or low readings and is totally unsuitable for most camera meter use.<br>

The EF ? had a regulator and was tolerant. but most all othere cameras used a series circuit that depended on a ficed voltage.<br>

the MR-9 is expensive. if you and only you use the camera it is unlikely to get lost and tossed when the battery is changed.<br>

a better solution is to, if you are having a CLA done. it to add a shottky diode in series and convert the camera to a silver oxide cell.<br>

still you have the shape of the cell problem.<br>

a hollowed out case from an old cell or a metal adapter ring will solve the problem<br>

I use a metal ring in my canonet28 ( hearing aid cell short life right voltage)<br>

At least your camera uses FD lenses and not FL lenses.</p>

<p>I already have two MR-9 adapters from C.R.I.S. not including the one I gave my son with an SRT 201. They work well and the silver oxide 386 cells last a long time. I just ordered two of those inexpensive adapters so I can keep more of the old cameras with batteries in them even if the zinc-air batteries do not last nearly as long. Lately I have just been putting the 675 zinc-air batteries into Canon FTbN bodies with out an adapter. The spring seems to keep them where they need to be and the cameras work fine that way. I have noticed that 675 zinc-zir prices are going up locally so I ordered some online. Another use I might have for the two plain size adapters is to power some old Gossen CdS meters which were made to take two PX-13s. </p>

• 5 months later...
<p>I've bought the MR-9 from that ebayer and it works fine in my olympus OM-1n. Shipping to Belgium took quite long, can't remember how long exactly, but I think it was something like three weeks. It was the cheapest I could find. I have heard some things that these zinc batteries are not as accurate as the MR-9. you could use these, but you have to power the meter on a few minutes before you take the exposure. Zinc batteries apperently need some time before they settle on a stable voltage. I decided to save the hassle and spend a bit more ont the MR-9 and some silver oxide batteries. Some light meters are more prone to voltage differences than others, so I assume the accuracy of the meter on different batteries depends very much on your camera.</p>