MPP 5x4 tilt question

andrew_spence1

im just about to start using my 5x4 camera its a british mpp with a range finder and focal plane shutter I believe copied from the american speed graphic.......

the thing is why does the lens only tilt up and not down ....I can modify it to tilt down though .....if need be

regards Andrew

Because it was a copy of a Linhof Technika, early model, that only had that tilt movement. Starting with the Technika IV the Linhof corrected this.

You may be able to drop your baseboard to get some forward tilt but this is not really the same as having continuos forward tilt.

If you have front swing you could also use your camera tilted 90° on your tripod and then that swing movement would become tilt movement.

My Century Graphic only has backward tilt.

It's mostly used in conjunction with dropping the bed, as Bob said. The bed drops by a fixed angle (and the lens standard tilts forward with it), which sets the maximum forward tilt. You use the standard's backward tilt to reduce the amount. You then use some front rise to bring the lens back into line.

Or, there's enough backward tilt that you can completely offset the bed tilt, and the result is front drop with no tilt.

I suspect the only reason the feature's there at all is to allow the bed to be dropped, so you can use wide-angle lenses without seeing the front of the bed in the picture.

With a bit of awkwardness, you can mount my camera upside-down, using the tripod bush on the side, and use it as forward tilt. I've never done it in anger.

I seem to remember that the MPP Mk VIII (8I has front forward tilt while the Mk VII and Mk VI do not. However they all have full back tilts and I found that in use these usually were enough formy landscape and architecture applications. Some people used to have the camera mounted on its side and use the front swings as tilts but I never found that was necessary.

Edited by colin carron

guys

thanks for your responses its an easy fix i just got to drill 2 new holes and slot them towards the back of the standard uprights to hold the locking screws

ill need the forward tilt when i use it i wondered why it didnt exist already ....its a great camera i just need some film and im ready to go

i got the camera for £75 a couple of years ago in pieces it was easy to fix and looks and operates like new

regards Andrew

If it has a focal plane shutter, then what you have is an MPP press camera, which was never meant to give full technical movements. It was designed to be used handheld as a straightforward "snapshot" camera, with the possibility for front rise and moderate lens movements. However, you can mount the camera on its side and use swing, or drop the baseboard.

The MPP technical camera proper is a very flexible camera. That's why the press version usually sells for much less than its technical cousin.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

thanks rodeo the focal plane shutter i keep on permantely open as ill be using the shutters in the shutter lenses im going to use it handheld and on a tripod too i lke the idea of shooting handheld on the rangefinder which is the first thing im going to do with it

regards andrew

Apparently the MPP Micropress is an almost direct copy of Graflex's Pacemaker Speed Graphic, with many parts interchangeable between them, if you ever need spares.

A company called Custom Bellows in Birmingham, England is able to supply new bellows for MPP and other cameras. I bought a replacement bellows for a MicroTechnical mkvii from them a few years back. Even though the camera showed little sign of use, the bellows were shot through age. It's worth checking for pinholes before putting expensive film through the camera.

BTW, the rangefinder won't be of much use unless you have the matching cam for whatever lens you're using. The cams were cut by hand to match a specific lens. Also MPP used a non-standard "register" (distance from filmholder face to image plane) on some of their cameras. MPP supplied wooden filmholders with this deeper register, and using a modern plastic DDS may not give a properly focussed image. This depends on the age of the camera, since MPP saw sense and standardised their register on later models. If the register is out, at least the ground glass can be shimmed to compensate.

The MPP user's club used to host a website with much good information on it, but the site has been made subscription only now. :-(

joe

thanks for your reply i just checked the registration distance and its the standard modern plastic measurement im going to use a 150mm lens on the rangefinder as thats what it seems to work with instead of 135mm it will be fun using it .i have 8 LF lenses ill use too The bellows are ok but i have bought bellows from custom bellows for other cameras as i live in the uk and they do a great perfect job and well worth the money...now for some ilford and fomopan 5x4 film

regards Andrew