Moving objects

sukumaran_r

I am using a D2H with a new Nikkor 18-200DX lenses. I am having problem taking

fotos of moving objects and they come out blurred. Still subjects are not a

problem at all and they come out crisp. I am using the single frame advance

(not continuous) mode and use the P mode (prefer rather than the S or A mode).

I suspect that the autofocus settings may not be correct. The D2H is widely

believed to the best gadget for action sports etc and if the moving objects

does not get focussed - I am concerned about the auto focus settings. Any help

from my experienced friends taking fotos of moving objects - kids moving

around etc would be highly appreciated....Thank you

What kind of shutter speeds are you using? The D2H is a marvelous machine for action, but you still need to pick a speed that's appropriate for what's moving.

Just wondering if you've fallen into the 'trap' of thinking a VR lens is 'the bomb' for photographing action. VR is a little like shooting from a monopod; it doesn't do beans to arrest subject motion.

Are you sure the objects are out of focussed as opposed to motion blurred? Faster lens should do it.

I might of course be mistaken, but it does sound like you are just trusting the camera to do the trick for you without really being in control yourself. The D2h or any camera isn't a magic bullet. I'd get it off 'P' and figure out how to set shutter speed. Even before that fast lens, I'd get a good book.

"I am using the single frame advance (not continuous) mode and use the P mode ..."

To be blunt ... take it out of P mode and learn to use the other modes. The only thing that will stop subjects moving across the frame from blurring is a fast shutter speed. The shutter speed selected by the camera in P mode (it will vary dependent on both focal length and lighting) may or may not be the speed you need to freeze subject motion.

The best P mode is the one in your head. Know when to use it. :-)

It's pretty much been covered... take it out of P, consider S and keep those shutter speeds up. Also try a faster lens, the 18-200mm is an AF-S lens, but not all AF-S lenses are fast. It's also only f/5.6 at the telephoto end, making the AF sensors work that much harder. Try a 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S, or even a 80-200mm f/2.8 screwdriver lens.

Also, you need to understand how the AF modes work, read this:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/multi-cam2000/review.html

I bought a D2H recently and the thing is a speed demon on AF-C. Try focusing on a door-knob on AF-C, then run at it like you're drunk (less predictable movement). :) The D2H keeps it in focus very well.

Hi, Sukumaran,

While all of the previous posters have already covered the necessary answers for you original question, I would suggest you to make sure that the firmware A of your D2H is the newest version (ver. 2.02) which will shoot the focusing trouble that happens when 18-200 DX is mounted on D2H.