Moving into Digital Photography

Hello All:

I would consider myself to be a photo guru and have had several different types

of of camera. I currently own a Minolta Maxxium 5 which I've enjoyed a great

deal, but have noticed that it takes to much time to get the film developed and

then scanned in with a high resolution negative camera. I greatly enjoyed my

school years where I could develop my own black & whites film.

I'm looking to get back into those creative times in my life. I know that there

is no camera for every situation especially in my price range. I also know that

I can't afford a Canon 30D or a Nikon D200. I know that I want to get a good

body and a good fixed lense around the equalivent of a 55mm on a 35mm film

camera. I'm looking to work on my basics again then I will move forward as I

know that I can do a great deal at the screen.

I don't know if I can afford the Nikon D80, but I'm sure that I can afford a

Nikon D70s. I also believe I can afford a Canon 20D or even a Canon 400D. I

really am unsure of which manufacture system I should invest into either Canon

or Nikon (this off course seems to be of great debate). I also know the specs

of all cameras inside and out, but am confused of the best system to go with as

I have know ever since I was a little boy that Nikon was the way to go with 35mm

film. However, I think that in the digital world that may have switched over to

Canon.

If this is the case I am leaning towards the Canon 20D because of the body

structure, however I don't know if the camera structure in the Canon 400D will

do just as well and be the better of the two choices.

I'm looking for any helpful hints either from Photographers or just the normal

consumer with there thoughts on these manufactures. Thanks.

as far as begining with either nikon or canon, flip a coin.. Or come up with some more items to list what you plan to do.. maybe someday you want to move to a full fram digital.. in this case canon is the way to go. but maybe the smaller sensor will work adequately,, nikon offers perfectly valid equipment in this sensor size. .. anyway, I think flipping a coin is your best option.

D70s with 18-70 kit lens might be a good start. I know you said you want a really nice fixed normal lens, but those little buggers can be expensive for DSLRs. I'd take a look at the Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX DC HSM. The Canon 20D is great too, by the way. Mine has yet to let me down for any task I've thrown at it. If you want something small with a good assortment of older manual focus lenses take a look at the pentax offerings. They've got those nifty "limited edition" primes that are small and well crafted. And, finally, you could always track down a used Maxxum 7D in order to use your current lenses (the Sony Alpha might be a bit pricey for ya)

In this modern digital age you could well find that Canon and Nikon are behind the times with what they offer you and there are some other minor players catching up. Such as Sony, Pentax, and Olympus with very useful features that the 'top two' have not bothered to include. Then there are the prosumers, single zoom lens cameras without the hassle of lens changing, such a PanasonicFZ30/50 or Sony R1 which satisfy many people. It is a whole new world out here with digital. Unless you plan to abuse your gear in rugged conditions there is no real need for a metal body so you might as well have the lightness that is one of the advantages of digital. Particularly if you are an older Guru like me :-)

"...I think that in the digital world that may have switched over to Canon."

Joseph,

Since you're set on a lens (or at least a focal length), I'd recommend browsing the shops and getting hands on experience with both Canons and Nikons in your range. It may be worth the cost to buy (if you cannot borrow) memory modules for them and take a few exposures. Look at dpreview.com's sample images as well.

Canon image qualities are what I see in my mind's eye when someone refers to the unique qualities of a digital image. This might be a very good thing or a not so good thing depending on your tastes. Note: I have no expeience with digital Nikons.

There's not much to lose in picking up some memory and making a few exposures considering in a year or two you might have 30lbs of kit attached to your choice. Review the captures on the computer and maybe print off a few.

Good Luck,

Don E

Joseph,<BR>

I may not be a guru, but I am getting older. I agonized a long time over which DSLR to buy, Canon, Nikon?...Nikon, Canon? I first bought a Canon A610, just to find out what was the fuss about digital. And I loved it. Great features, a decent lens, and a wonderful flip screen that opens up new worlds. Of course, it's not good enough: The zoom lens is not wide enough, you cannot easily put a polarizer on, and there are better lenses around. I went back to look at what I really wanted: A wide-angle, sharp lens, the flip screen for preview. So I got a Sony R1: Well designed (Even the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder is a breeze, a big plus for the vision-challenged), easy to use, relatively light, quiet, and no need a carry a big bag of lenses around.

Hello Joseph, flip a coin is about right, most modern DSLRs are going to be very capable items and will serve you well. You don't have to restrict yourself to Nikon or Canon though. You could have a look at side by side reviews of DSLRs at www.dpreview.com

In the end, the best thing to do is find somewhere that has a range of cameras and see what they feel like and which you like. Once you have taken the plunge, you will have great fun.

Best wishes. Pete

Canon tends to be cheaper and smaller/lighter. Nikon seems to be better built, and heavier and more expensive. I like the Nikon D200 myself but the rebel Xti is great also. Another thing is memory-I believe nikon uses SD but canon uses CF? ANyway CF is larger but also faster. Do you have any lenses for either system yet? What about memory cards for either one? Read up on them.

Joseph,

Pick the lens system you want to work with and grow with. Once you've made that decision, pick a camera body you can afford that will take the lens system you chose to work with. Digital camera bodies get replaced - lenses last a long, long time.

Jim

Jim:

Thank you for pointing out the fact that lenses last while bodies are replaced. I think that it might be helpful that I point out that I hope to one day get into sports photography especially the yachting side. I also have a reef tank that I would like to take pictures of so I would have to say that I will also being looking for a system that can handle macro nature.

I would love to hear more on these types/genres of photography, tanks.

Joe

If you already have a Minolta Maxxum 6 and presumably at least one Minolta AF mount lens,

you should consider the Sony A100. Buy that and a 35mm lens, you'll have compatibility with

whatever lenses you have for the Maxxum 5 and it's a darn good camera to boot.

Godfrey

While you have a Minolta and lens the logical solution, to save expense, is to get the Minolta lens mounting Sony A100. However as one who bought a s/h [quite cheap] Canon DSLR body [ from a guy up rating his camera long before the old one was worn out] to do things my pro-sumers fall down on [not much] and use my old Pentax lens with [i have five] I suggest that you should get a new wide-angle capable [18-60mm or similar]lens which links to the camera instead of having to work in manual.

One of the points of going digital is to have an automatic or part-automatic camera and benefit from advances in technology rather than simply use a different form of "film" and be able to learn the different techniques of digital.

I would first like to thank everyone for all their advice I've found it very helpful and I think I am finally beginning to narrow my system. I have thought about it some more and think that I may want to one day further my skills into professional world so I think I could do more with that path in the canon system than with any other system available today.

I also have thought about what I would like to shoot and wasn't able to limit down what I would like to shoot, but rather what I don't see myself doing is shooting a studio or at weddings. I do see myself doing documentaries in the future along with sports, nature and landscapes.

As I mentioned in my original post I learned off an old minolta camera that my father bought on the day I was born. I have always seen myself being more active with my photography skills and when I got my Minolta Maxxium 5D I begin to move away from my skills I learned and became lazy with zoom instead of setting up the shot.

With that in mind I am looking for a good lens within the Canon system to take me back to the basics. I am looking for a digital lens that is between 30 - 35 mm with F/1.4 - F/1.8. I know that lenses can cost a pretty penny, but I do believe Jim said, "Cameras are replaced, but lenses last for a lifetime" (or something like that). Once I find the lens I'll look into the camera, but I'm leaning towards a Rebel XT or XTi or a 20D within the Canon system.

Thanks,

Joe

You will find that most digital cameras will take close-ups for you unlike the old film cameras which required close-up lens or extension tubes to come anywhere like real close. The APS DSLR is particularly good when fitted with a "macro 1:1' lens.

For you reef tank, I assume you mean fishtank with glass sides, you could find that a longer focal length lens with a moderate CU lens will permit you to get big close-up from a distance through the glass. Most long focal length lens do not focus close, so the CU lens solves this while not getting you too close and you use the narrow angle of view to get the tight framing. A fishtank is a situation where you don't want to get too close otherwise the camera gets wet :-) but a narrow angle of view from outside the tank.