moving digital looking for suggestions

j_d30

Been shooting film since I started. I need digital for some occasions, I discovered, and looking for some advice as this is a world that I am completely unfamiliar with (digital cams).

I need good quality prime lens since I got used to that (I am used to sharp lenses and don't want to downgrade much).

I prefer smaller size cameras, easier to carry around and flexible in a street photo setting (which is most of what I do). This seems like I should opt for mirorrless. Doesn't have to have crazy MP.

And I need it to be affordable <2000.

I understand that there is a million choice, and each one has its + and -, but if you know of a system that fits the above needs please let me know.

Also I am lost, how do I know which lens work with which system? If I like a lens (Milvus zeiss for example), how do I find a mirorrless that I can use it with?

Thanks

Fuji, Panasonic and Olympus (OM Systems) offer the best, full system small sized cameras. Full frame cameras may be able to use your adapted lenses OK. Some <2000 full frame cameras are available, but not that many. You could buy secondhand which would increase your choice. Buying a DSLR that uses the lenses you have would be a good option, but mirrorless cameras are more future proof going forward. For best advice we need to know what you have now.
  • Like 2
Robin Smith

A Sony A7Riii should just about fall within your budget - certainly if used - and will take, via adapters, almost any rangefinder or SLR lens ever made. It has a full-frame (24x36mm) sensor.

However it will help if you tell us what you're currently using.

#Milvus: Do you have one / some? - Looked them up; manual focus for CaNikon (D)SLRs. €/$150? for a native MILC adapter, so we have 1K8 to spend? They should buy entry EOS RP or used EOS R or something Sony A7? - IDK about Nikon; Z6?

If you don't have Milvus, you appear on the wrong path with / towards FF MILCs, sorry. I 'd recommend looking at for example Canon's consumer primes, 35 & 85 IS' performance on EOS RP or R. Modern AF seems pretty awesome, performance wise and those lenses seem compact.

If you don't need MP, why do you need FF? There seem lots of happy street shooters deploying either Fuji or Olympus. Both systems cater lens gourmets, AFAIK.

I use a Fuji X-Pro2 with a Summicron 35 with an adapter. Works great, but it also works with adopters on Panasonic/Olympus and probably Sony as well.

The Fuji 23 f.2 on an X-Pro 2 will give you the same equivalent coverage as your Cron is a very good lens and gives you all the auto focus modes. The Cron will be a 50mm equivalent coverage on any of the APC sensor cameras and a 70mm on the Micro 4/3 cameras. The Sony will give you full frame so it would be the same.

Thank you. My only 35mm camera is Leica M6. With a summicron 35.

Which other lens would go on an M6 that also goes on an affordable mirrorless digital (or DSLR)?

can’t you get an older digital Leica for around (or perhaps slightly more than) your target $$ amount? Type 240 or something?

Leica M-P Type 240 (Silver Chrome) With Extras 799429107727 | eBay

Me being me I’d suggest a Nikon D800, 810 or 850. The 750 and 780 are good. For glass I have the 24-120 and a Tamron 28-75/2.8, both good street lenses. If no zooms then a 50 and a 35. Many are going mirrorless of course but these bodies are all quite capable.

Rick H.

@Ricochetrider Seems tough; I just checked and even an user-beater(!) M9 (from the kind of seller I'd want to meet in person, while backpacking a borrowed iMac) blew the budget.

I am BTW no longer daring to recommend M9. Leica apparently dropped it? When sensor corrosion kicks in: $1K to Kolarivision, batteries fishy 3rd party, memory card access issues (internally) ahead... And it has always been slow; ISO, tiny buffer, image review speed, winder. Otherwise yes, an enjoyable camera.

You can adapt the 'cron on everything and the kitchen sink. Corner sharpness will probably suck on mirrorless FF bodies, due to their thick sensor filters and micro lens positioning. Stopping an RF lens with solid clicks in the aperture ring down for every exposure was not my cup of tea and I quickly packed the Fuji with DR 'cron away, planning to use an aperture preselect SLR lens instead, if at all. But yes, every M lens justifies buying at least a cheap adapter, to try it on your MILC.

If you are happy with just a 35mm: Look at the Fuji X100 series. 3rd version up should be quite nice. My 90mm is too busy, to make those really interesting for me.

Maybe ponder a used Sony RX1? - I know close to nothing about these.

My next step into mirrorless will most likely be EOS R, due to previous EOS purchases.

Anyhow: APS C can be quite capable, especially when you like sharp lenses. I bought FF, to get away with cheaper ones.

Mirrorless cameras are the only ones capable of taking Leica lenses, and with good enough focus sensors (focus-peaking) to substitute for an optical rangefinder. And you'll probably want a full-frame body to prevent your Summicron 35 turning into an effective 50mm lens.

So my previous recommendation of a Sony A7Riii would fit the bill.

Which other lens would go on an M6 that also goes on an affordable mirrorless digital (or DSLR)?

If you just want to try digital with little financial outlay, then look at a used Fuji X-E, X-T or X-Pro, controls are very 'Leica like' and you can use your existing lens(es) with an adaptor, though, as noted, your 35mm will become an effective 50mm.

If you don't like, you can resell for little to no loss, or move up to a full frame body.

The 16 megapixel Fujis are very capable.

I'm currently using (among others), a Fuji X-T10 with a Ttartisan 23mm f1.4, very happy and the whole kit is worth less than €300...

For an erstwhile Leica user, It would be short-sighted to buy an APS-C camera because your choice of wide-angle lenses is limited. You would need a 24 mm lens for the same field of view as the 35mm on your M6. In any case, you are not buying just a camera, but the variety, quality and cost of it's encompassing system, starting with lenses.

Leica lenses can be used on any mirrorless digital camera with a flange to sensor distance of less than 23 mm, using an inexpensive adapter. This adaptability extends to nearly any lens used on an SLR or DSLR, which have a long flange to sensor distance to accommodate a swinging mirror. SLR lenses actually work better than rangefinder lenses for that reason, because the long back focus distance nearly eliminates fuzzy corners due to the thick cover glass of a digital sensor.

I went through stages when I switched to digital, starting with an used Leica M9, eventually to a Sony A7ii. I found that Leica lenses shorter than 50 mm produced disappointing results, and even at 50 mm, the edge effects were noticeable. I also found it nearly impossible to get sharp focus with a Summicron 90 at anything near f/2. With the Sony, every lens fills the whole frame, and there are focusing aids, including magnification, which allow critical focusing at any aperture. The electronic finder adjusts its brightness, so you don't have to open the lens for viewing and focusing.

In short order, I found that legacy lenses left much to be desired, in terms of sharpness and ease of use, compared to lenses designed for mirrorless use. However you don't have to buy all new lenses from the start, when legacy lenses work well enough. Sony has over 80 lenses made specifically for their cameras, and dozens of third-party lenses which are made to fit the mount.

The Sony A7iii is a good, 24 MP camera, with a new price of under $1800. The A7Riii is 42 MP, and available used for less than $2000. Both cameras have in-body image stabilization, which nearly eliminates the effects of camera shake.

I am not sure I would go to Leica digital just because you have one lens. I would be tempted to sell it and get in on a new system at the bottom. S/h systems offer the best prices. Since you are an M-user then a mirrorless camera would seem best for you rather than a DSLR. I'll take a guess and suggest that you check out the offerings from Sony (FF), Fuji (APS) and Olympus (4/3) to look at prices and systems. I haven't suggested Nikon or Canon, because they have not been in the FF game for so long, so have fewer lenses, although all of these systems offer very good lenses.Canon and Nikon have less available at present, but this will change in the future and quite rapidly. I think you will find going digital to be a revelation.
Robin Smith

I am not sure I would go to Leica digital just because you have one lens. I would be tempted to sell it and get in on a new system at the bottom. S/h systems offer the best prices. Since you are an M-user then a mirrorless camera would seem best for you rather than a DSLR. I'll take a guess and suggest that you check out the offerings from Sony (FF), Fuji (APS) and Olympus (4/3) to look at prices and systems. I haven't suggested Nikon or Canon, because they have not been in the FF game for so long, so have fewer lenses, although all of these systems offer very good lenses.Canon and Nikon have less available at present, but this will change in the future and quite rapidly. I think you will find going digital to be a revelation.

Why is it a revelation?

Thanks guys. OP here. It seems that I am nearly convinced that Sony A7ii would be a good choice and not because it can eventually take the summicron when I go back home (because it sounds it is not ideal to use with the 'cron).

What would be a professional sharp 35 mm lens to go with it? Due to my ignorance and lack of time I am just going to go by your recommendations. I prefer not to have to deal with adapters. Just buy, put together, and shoot.

Frankly most of the comments go above my head, as I am really clueless about digital. Thanks a lot

The Sony 35/1.4 EF is highly regarded. I don't have that lens, but my favorite walk-about lens is a Zeiss Batis 40/2.0, Batis 25/2.0, or a completely manual Zeiss Loxia 25/2.4. There are other Sony and third-party wide-angle lenses, starting at about $500.

Zeiss lenses for Sony are designed as though the 2 mm thick sensor glass were part of the lens. They are really sharp from corner to corner. I'm sure Sony lenses are designed in this way too, but probably not third-party lenses.

I've been very impressed with Sigma's 105mm f/2.8 'Art' macro - it's optically pretty perfect and designed specifically for Sony FE mount cameras. Build-quality is impressive too. So it might pay to consider the Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art as well as the above suggestions, especially if you need the wider aperture. Reviews are mostly extremely favourable.

I was a little disappointed with my 85mm f/1.8 Sony lens. I now believe that Sony puts all its efforts into the expensive 'G' series lenses, while the rest of their offerings are just average, but at above average price. The Sony FE 35mm f/1. 4 G lens is twice the price of Sigma's offering. Worth twice as much? That's a personal decision.

Although all Leica stuff are expensive but if you have enough of your good Leica prime lenses the price of an M digital isn't all that expensive especially if you sell the M6.

… Due to my ignorance and lack of time I am just going to go by your recommendations. … Just buy, put together, and shoot.

Frankly most of the comments go above my head, as I am really clueless about digital. Thanks a lot

Finding a suitable camera is the least of it -they are all fine. Just wait until you have to set up the camera.

That is when the nightmare begins.

• Like 1
Niels

Finding a suitable camera is the least of it -they are all fine. Just wait until you have to set up the camera.

That is when the nightmare begins.

Maybe there are brand dependent differences but to me "set up nightmares" would be an SLRs specific thing, when you have to do unassisted AF micro adjustments for multiple fast lenses. What else is there to set up? - Yes, one COULD get lost in JPEG adjustments, but why bother? - Shoot RAW! If you really want to re-assign camera buttons, maybe follow an almost hour long YouTube tutorial and be done. So far everything I gotnwas shootable straight out of the box.