Moving Adobe Apps to a new computer

<p>I have just finished building my new computer, and am ready to start installing my applications.</p>

<p>For Adobe Apps such as Photoshop and Lightroom, do I need to uninstall them from the old computer before installing them on the new one? How does Adobe know I'm not just installing another copy?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>You need to "Deactivate" the software on the computer you are no longer using it on. You get to this from the Help Menu item at the top of the screen. Make sure to do this before wiping that system or attempting to install it on the new computer. Adobe tracks how many machines you have the software installed on. I believe you can have it installed on 2 machines, but not use it simultaneously (at least you aren't supposed to). The idea behind this is a main computer and a laptop, which is exactly what my situation is.</p>

<p>Valve made Steam. It works. I buy some games, my girlfriend buys some games. She comes to my place, logs in on her Steam account on my PC, and magically all of her games are available. Log off, log on with my account, my games are available. Go to a friend's place, log in, it just works.<br>

I zapped my old PC, built a new one, reinstalled Steam, guess what, it works. Everything I bought is there, click, it works.<br>

Now Adobe puts the DRM activation crap on their software. Apply crack, problem solved. The DVD stays in the box on the shelf, plastic wrap unopened.<br>

They should distribute their stuff through Steam and that would be so much better...</p>

<p>Charles, Steam as described by Pierre is entirely legal. My school uses it, so that students who are gamers can purchase (subscribe is a better term) game software and then play those games in tournaments campus-wide in whatever location they choose.<br />However, I would not care to have Adobe start subscribing its software to me vs. the current purchase/licensing method. Steam has been known to modify subscriptions to suit itself, and there is little the user can do in response.<br />Back to the question, if you do not (or have forgotten or cannot - in the event of a catastrophic crash) to deactivate the software, contact Adobe for assistance. They are usually quite good about assisting their customers. Just don't do this if you're trying to pirate the software.</p>