mounting sb600

paul_soohoo2

<p>I looked in the specs and at the pictures of the sb600 and could not tell. Does the bottom of the foot of the flash have a 1/4" female thread i.e. the Kirk Macro bracket has a 1/4" screw for mounting. Can I screw this directly into the flash unit or do I have to buy an accessory shoe?</p>

<p>The SB-600 comes with an accessory "table" stand, which is a plastic assembly into which you can slide/lock the speedlight, using the shoe. This works for free-standing arrangements, and it (the table stand) also has a female 1/4-20 threaded fitting on the bottom, for use on tripods or similar devices.</p>

<p>The SB-600 doesn't have a threaded, female socket. The stand that Matt refers to is the Nikon AS-19, a very handy stand for wireless flash work. Once you mount the flash on the AS-19 you cannot access the electrical contacts of the shoe.</p>

<p>Lilly: the theory is that you'll usually be using the AS-19 with an SB-600 when using the flash in a remote CLS mode (so, no hot shoe electrical connection in play). There's no other way to remotely trigger the SB-600 (since it doesn't have a PC connector) unless you use an accessory triggering foot of some kind, and you can still use that to stack up on the AS-19, while giving yourself a PC connector, etc.</p>

<p>In case it helps, I should point out that every hotshoe remote flash cord I've seen has a hotshoe foot as well as a shoe. You can, for example, put one end of the cord in the camera's hot shoe, insert the flash in the other end of the cord, and slide the end of the cord with the flash on it into the AS-19. (Remote flash cords often also have a tripod thread on the end where the flash attaches, so if you want to tripod mount it you don't need the AS-19.) I assume that's irrelevant if you're looking at CLS, but just thought I'd mention it for completeness.</p>

<p>you know I looked at that spec sheet and did not see the AS-19 until I looked again. Thanks CPM.</p>

<p>I think I'm all set with what I need. My last flash is from 40 years ago where you had to focus to get your distance, transfer your distance to some manual dial on the flash which would then tell you what f-stop stop to set your lens to. So I am looking forward to the world of iTTL flash.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses.</p>

<p> </p>