Mounting my Ebony

andrew_morgan

As you have no doubt noticed, the tripod mounting bushing for the Ebony is located at the back of the camera so that unless the back is extended the camera appears to be very much "forward heavy" when mounted on the tripod. I doubt that this is a real problem but it does make the camera look like it's not very well balanced on the tripod. In order to deal with that "problem" I use a 4" long Arca style mounting plate made by Kirk Enterprises. Using a long plate like that allows the camera to be mounted somewhat behind its normal position on tripod so that the rear of the camera then hangs out over the back and makes the whole set up look more balanced. I don't know whether RRS makes a plate like that or not.

Andrew, I have this camera and RRS recommended the B22 plate which works fine with it. I used this plate with its long axis in the side-to-side plane, so the knob which tightens the clamp sticks out backwards, ie towards you. Since then, however, I have bought the Linhof 3-way levelling head which doesn't need a separate plate because it screws directly into the camera. The ability to set each plane separately I find to be an advantage over wobbly ball-heads!

LOL! What a great subject line...

Regarding L bracket for Xpan - I would recommend not to. I favor RRS products but in this case the Kirk plate is a really fine product, integrating well with the shape of the Xpan body. Recommended. I do not know about your photography, but I shoot extremely few verticals with my Xpan, so an L-plate does not make sense. For the few verticals I shoot, I can tilt the tripod head.