Mounting Hasselblad Ext. Tube

btmuir

Okay, I've read the posts and wanna make sure. I don't YET have the

Wildi manual and need confirmation on mounting an extension tube.

First, make sure everything is in cocked position. 2: remove lens

from body. 3:mount tube to body. 4:mount lens to tube. Enjoy. Remove

in the EXACT oppisite manner,lensfrom tube/tube from body. Thanks

everyone.

Bruce,

You've got it! Here it is, taken a little further:

If you use extension tubes or extenders with your Hasselblad, it is of the utmost importance that you follow the proper procedure when attaching and removing them from your camera to prevent the camera from jamming.

When attaching an extension tube or extender, always attach the tube or extender to the body first, and then attach the lens to the tube or extender. If using more than one tube, attach the first tube to the camera, then attach the second tube, and then attach the lens.

When removing the components, it is essential that you remove them in exactly the opposite way you attached them. First, remove the lens. Then remove the tube or the extender from the body. If you are using more than one tube, remove the lens first, then remove the tube that is next to the lens, then remove the tube that is attached to the body.

NEVER REMOVE THE TUBE(S) OR EXTENDER AND THE LENS TOGETHER!

If you mistakenly try to remove the lens and tube(s) or extender at the same time and they jam on the camera, gently try to reattach the assembly to the body, and proceed according to the above instructions. If they will not lock back on to the body properly, don't try to force them on or off. Doing so can damage the front key on the body. If this happens, the front key assembly will have to be replaced, and this is a very expensive part.

If you find yourself with a lens and tube(s) or extender stuck on the body and you can't get the assembly on or off, take the camera to a Hasselblad technician who can remove the components without causing damage to the camera.

David S. Odess

www.david-odess.com

David,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know that there was anything to be careful about when mounting and unmounting the extension tubes, and have inadvertently attached and removed the tube and lens together (since that's what I do with my other systems). I'll avoid doing that with my Hasselblads from now on.

But I'm just curious... Why musn't one remove the lens and tube from the body together? What could happen and cause it to jam? As far as I can see, the tube has the same mechanism as the lens itself, so I'm wondering why there is the risk of jamming if you put things together in the wrong order.

Kevin,<br><br>Both mechanisms in lens and tube are primed, sprung, ready to fire. When they do, the axle used as a coupling device is rotated.<br>The mechanisms are held static by a very flimsy catch, which is operated (released) by a pin in the mount pusing against a the tiny lever visible inside the semi-cricular rim on the back of lenses and tubes.<br>When depressed only the camera (last link in the chain), is controlling whether or not the things are allowed to rotate, and if so how far.<br><br>With a lens in a tube, and no camera behind that, the pin in the tube's lens mount is pressing the release catch on the back of the lens. So then only the mechanism inside the tube is holding the heavily sprung mechanism inside the lens. This too is prevented from releasing only by that same tiny catch (no dog catching the slotted end of it's axle).<br><br>When trying to remove the lens from the tube, or even when removing the combination from the camera, either mechanism in tube or lens, or both may fire.<br>If the mechanism in the lens fires when taking it off from the tube, the slotted end of the axle no longer lines up with another pin in the mount, and the thing is stuck: no way to remove it, and often no way to reset the mechanism, since the coupling between lens and tube no longer exists, and can't be restored because just because of that.<br>Should the combination fire when being taken off the camera, it too can get stuck, the slot no longer lining up properly.<br>Should the combination fire when off camera, the coupling between lens and tube still exists, and the combination can be reset by turning the tube's slotted axle.<br><br>With a (single) lens or tube off-camera, you can test this by pressing the pin inside the semi-circular rim. When you do, you'll see the mechanism firing, and the axle rotating. You then have to reset it by inserting a coin into the slot, and rotating the axle clockwise (indicated by little red arrow) until it catches again.

Storing two tubes stacked is not a problem.<br>You can reach something to "reset" each tube if anything should happen: the slotted axle of the one tube, the key/dog of the other.<br><br>A lens on a tube is different: if you can't reach the back of the lens (and you can't when it's stuck on a tube) there's nothing you can do.