Matte paper, mostly on the 8.5 x 11 sheet size. To display these I

have been using Light Impression clear photo corners and "mounting"

the prints to mat board without any additional glue / adhesive. I use

an overmat and the results are fine. I am now wanting to print with

larger size paper. I have a question about mounting these prints:

Would they stand up to dry mounting?

The paper is listed as being less "archival" than others and would

heating it make things worse?

Would it be damaged in the press with "RC-like" temperatures?

If a "cold" adhesive is used, which one?

The surface of the print noticably becomes "shiney" with rubbing

(esp. the blacks) and thus I do not think a mounting system that

involved "rubbing" (burnishing) the print to a board to help an

adhesive bond would work.

I only come up with either "no adhesive-photo corners" (like my

smaller prints) but I think that a larger print (about 12 x 17 paper

size) would ripple (unsightly) -OR- I could use the usual spray

adhesive which is a bit messy and more of a challenge to position

than dry mounting but a method I am reasonable certain would work.

I plan to overmat the prints.

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions.

Robert

PS Does anyone know if an InkJet print would be more like a

cibachrome print or a standard silver gelatin print (BW) when it

comes to using a Non-Buffered VS a Buffered mat board?

Thanks again.

If you're going to overmat your prints and use appropriate backing, there is no need to dry mount them. Your 12x17 prints are unlikely to ripple. Over the years, I've purchased a lot of prints by master photographers...silver prints, C-prints and Iris prints (the professional equivilant of 2200 output). I have them professionally framed and until they get significantly larger than what you are describing they are mounted/hinged with archival tape, and or corners...not drymounted. Once something is drymounted, all future options are eliminated. Most high end framers use 100% rag, acid free "museum" board. This is available at all quality art supply stores and from LightImpressions.

Good Luck.

Robert,

I do a lot of prints using Epson paper, including roll paper prints as large as 13 X 42. On sizes up to 13 X 19 I use self-adhesive plastic strips to hold the print in place on backing, either matt board or foam core. It generally works well, but be sure to leave some slack so the print can change size with changes in temperature or humidity. A sixteenth of an inch is usually enough.

With long prints mounted vertically I hang the print from the top with several strips of adhesive, the kind that is on tape and is left on the surface when the tape backing is removed. I also use plastic mounting strips to locate the print. Hanging works well for me because it allows the print to shrink or grow without causing ripples or the like.

I have had more trouble with long prints displayed horizontally. I find that I have the most success and fewest problems with the plastic strips. I always let the print rest for 24 hours or so after it is printed to allow it to dry completely and for it to come into balance with the surroundings. Beware of damp environments or very dry places.

I�ve never tried dry mounting because it seems unnecessary and because I am not sure how the material would react to the heat. I�ve never tried any of the spray adhesives with the Epson paper. I�ve used them for other things and found them to be messy and of course, there are concerns about the health issues with some of them.

I will be curious to hear what others are doing with these prints.

For all of my prints, up to 13x19, I dry mount but not using heat, using a 3M 568 positionable mounting adhesive. Works great and keeps prints totally flat. Of course you can't unmount easily but the flatness really helps. Also I tried to use a traditional dry mount (heating press) with 1270 prints and they changed but others have said that it works fine for them. In my hands, the 3M stuff works the best.

Bill

Hi Jake,

I just got several prints from my 2200 and 9600 professionally drymounted and framed. All prints were on matte paper which was first cold-laminated with a luster finish. The color and B&W prints came out beautifully, and I don't need glass to cover the prints (much better in my case, since I'll be carting them around to various bridal shows etc).

As suggested above, drymounting the prints reduce your future options with the print, but with digital, you could just print another. I don't know how "archival" these prints will be, but I doubt that the drymounting will deteriorate before the inks (even the ultrachrome inks) or paper (changed the name from "Archival" Matte to "Enhanced" Matte for a reason) start to shift. Hopefully the cold-laminate will decrease the effects of light and gas.

Best,

I have used a dry mounting press with many 1270 prints, mostly 13 x 19. No problem. Just use a medium to medium low setting. Test first! Although I also like to "hang" my prints from a strip, dry mounting gives a more professional look, especially when matted without glass! I have not mounted anything from the 9600 yet so I can't speak for the new Ultachrome inks.

I have been drymounting my 2200 prints for awhile now, no ill effects on Luster, Watercolor, or Matte papers that I have tried. 45 seconds at 185 deg F in the press seems to be all you need to get a good bond to acid-free mounting board. The heat has not been a problem.

I know dry mounting is referred to as losing your future options, but what options would you want to have with the print? I can always re-mat to another color if I want - the size of the image isn't going to change. I have used hinge mounting also, but have begun to prefer to the guaranteed flatness that dry mounting offers.

Mark

www.grafphoto.com

An Update, Armed with suggestions from this group I decided to try standard dry mounting the Enhanced/Archival Matte paper. I used MT5 mount tissue (it is what I had) and a temp of about 180F (not calibrated, temp dial on my old Bogen 12 x 16 inch press was set to the "180" mark). In press for 1 minute. Results are very good, no marks/changes to the surface, good adhesion. Used a heated clean 4 ply mounting board between the upper press plate and the surface of the print. I printed 13.5 x 9 inch images on A3 (about 11 x 17 inch)paper, trimmed and mounted to 16 x 20 boards (essentially this is my "workflow" for traditional "11 x 14" black and white prints except I use a little higher temp (200 on the press scale). So far so good.

Robert