Mountain Orieole

Sandy Vongries

We heard these in abundance camping in Utah earlier this year. Here's a link to a range map of various spotted towhee subspecies. Apparently this is not an exhaustive list. "Splitters", as opposed to taxonomic lumpers, were probably pleased when rufous sided towhees were split into spotted and eastern species. Similarly for yellow rumped -> myrtle and Audubon's. Conversely I grew up with yellow and red shafted flickers being separate now I guess they're cosidered subspecies of northern flickers. Ah, minutiae...

https://identify.whatbird.com/img/4/64012/image.aspx

Test

Edwin, Bill thanks! Two new visitors last night, only got photos of one, So far, looks like it might be one of the Kingbirds. Photos are not the best, when I get a good one, I'll post. Looking at my old Audubon Guide it is probably a Western Kingbird. The other is a puzzler -- a bit larger than a Robin, brown with prominent head stripes around the eye. Just recollection, it was there and gone.

I admit to being a taxonomic lumper, but fungi are very different. One of my older Peterson bird books has Rufus Sided and "Spotted Western Race" for Towhees. I omitted the "spotted". My mistake, so hit me with a mushroom. I mainly wanted to get the bird away from being an Oriole. Pretty birds, east or west. I seldom see the Rufus around here.

Sandy, one bird book you may want to add to your shelf, if not already there, is the small Sibley field guide. It will fit in the camera bag or large pant pockets and has excellent illustrations. You can probably find a version applicable to your region. I have one in addition to the larger version, which is very nice also. I use the larger one at home. The smaller one travels and occasionally lives in the car. I'd always rather know who is flying through the yard than ignore them, but admit birds aren't my forte.
  • Like 1