Motorsports Photography/Media Credentials

will_fagundes

<p>Hello Everyone, Im An Amateur Photographer Trying To Get Access To The Circle Of Nascar With The Hopes Of Taking This Hobby To A Higher Level And Become A Professional At Some Point Within The Next 3 Years. I've Been Shooting For About 4 Years Now But Find Very Hard To Get Great Shots During Motorsport Events Unless I Can Get Closer To The Action, Specially In Big Tracks.<br>

Does Anyone Here Knows The Process For Requesting And Being Approved For A Media/Photography Credentials For Nascar, Indy, F1, Etc.?</p>

<p>Thank You,</p>

<p>WF</p>

<p>Will -</p>

<p>Typically the "big" events don't allow freelance photographers into the media area. Instead credentials are reserved for those who are "on assignment" from news media, internet sites, or magazines.</p>

<p>The traditional way to get a pass is to get one of the media outlets listed above to write a letter to the media relations director stating that you are, in fact, on assignment for them. Then the media rep will review and approve or deny the application.</p>

<p>The other way of doing it is to get in with one of the sponsors of the event and have them get you the pass. I know of people who have gotten passes because one of the sponsors of one of the cars wanted some shots of their car.</p>

<p>All of this is in place for a couple of reasons: <br>

1. The event organizers want to tightly control who gets the images to their event and prevent the secondary market from profitting from their event.</p>

<p>2. Liability insurance and coverage. If they opened up the media areas to anyone who wanted to be there, they'd go broke from liability claims. By making sure you're on assignment, they're in effort transferring the liability to the assignee and avoiding it themselves.</p>

<p>Don't waste your money on the internet "Press Pass" kits that can be found on Google. The only people that accept those are local rubes who don't know any better. Major events all have their own press rules and acceptance criteria and a generic "Press Pass" isn't one of them.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks David, I Sure Did Think About Buying The Said "Media Passes" Online, But This Answer Will Keep Me From Spending Unecessary Money.<br>

Hopefully I Will Be Able To Get Some Help From Some Sponsors That Are Heavyweight On Nascar And Get In... Im Really Dreaming About It And Would Love To Get More And More Experience With Motorsports Photography.</p>

<p>If I Do, I Will Post Some Shots.</p>

<p>Thanks Again,</p>

<p>WF</p>

<p>Will the best way to get the type of credentials you want you need to shoot for a publication or sponsor. You may want to try become a photo assistant to a shooter.</p>

<p>What I would suggest is start shooting small venues like sprint cars. Then slowly start building up contacts and getting your name out. It takes time and a little luck to your bones, but it is still the fastest way I know.</p>

<p>I'd agree with Ralph that working on building up your portfolio is the best way to get in. No one is likely to give you credentials if you cant show them you are a skilled shooter.<br /> Its usually easier to get access at club level events and car club track days (money can be earned here too). You don't necessarily have to have famous names in your portfolio.<br /> <br /> Some race series also offer some kind of photographer oriented ticket package which will give you some added access. This is nothing like a press pass, and they're usually expensive, but depending on what they include in the package it might be worth it. I know the one offered by CART (back in the day) at the Long Beach race used to be pretty decent.<br /> <br /> Also, pick your venue. Some tracks have excellent view points in the spectator area, others don't. Road race tracks like Laguna Seca and Mid Ohio are fantastic in this manner. The big ovals in general are pretty bad.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>*Why do you capitalize every word?*<br>

wElL aT LeAst He dOnEsN't TyPe LiKe ThIs...tHiS wAs VeRy pOpuLar wItH tHe 12yR oLdS ThAt sNuCk InTo dAds CoMpUtEr bAcK iN tHe 1994 cHaTrOoMs.</p>

<p> hey Will, it hard to be taken seriously when you present yourself like this. You send an email typed like this for credentials and you will not be allowed to shoot a tiddlywinks tournament for the Special Olympics in Baghdad in summer.</p>

<p>*Why do you capitalize every word?*<br>

wElL aT LeAst He dOnEsN't TyPe LiKe ThIs...tHiS wAs VeRy pOpuLar wItH tHe 12yR oLdS ThAt sNuCk InTo dAds CoMpUtEr bAcK iN tHe 1994 cHaTrOoMs.</p>

<p> hey Will, it hard to be taken seriously when you present yourself like this. You send an email typed like this for credentials and you will not be allowed to shoot a tiddlywinks tournament for the Special Olympics in Baghdad in summer.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>What area of the county are you in? I have some ideas of how you could get started locally but I will warn you the climb to Nascar is a tough, narrow road. I have taken a few courses and hope to be there one day as well but I am having a great time shooting regional motorsports events.</p><div>00TEGA-130409584.jpg.695cd1e38843a5b4fcf94276dce39aa6.jpg</div>