Motorsport Photography

kash_hussain

Hi, I'm attending a Motorsport event on Sunday and wanted to know how I should

set up my D80 for the best "in motion" pictures. I expect to use the continuous

shooting mode a fair bit as well as single shots.

The only lens I currently have is an 18-200 VR lens. I've recently acquired a

Manfrotto 682B which should prove handy on the day - shoudl I keep VR on of off

if mounted on the pod? Any other settings which I shouls pay specific attention to?

Many thanks,

Kash

Shutter priority when you need to stop action. If you want it to freeze, shoot for ~1/2000 or higher. Slower speeds will give you some motion blur, which can especially be great in panning/tracking shots.

Another way is to use "trap focus" on a specific place in the track - don't try this for your first time on the day of the event, practice it first if you intend to use it.

To use Trap focus - Set AF-S mode. Set AE-L/AF-L button to AF ON. Use the AE-L button or manual focus to focus on an area of the track where the action will be. When action shows up, hold down the shutter button and the camera will only fire the shutter when the area under the selected focus point is in focus.

I guess you can try the tripod, but from my experience at the track they aren't of much value. With crowds, fences, and constantly moving targets I like to handhold.

Here is a sample pic I shot last month. The bike was probably doing 120mph in this shot (about half way down the track). I like my motorsports shots to reflect the car/bike in motion (wheel blur). Freezing the wheels by using too fast of a shutter speed ruins the composition in my opinion.

I was in the grandstands...

f2.8 | 1/1000 | ISO320 | 200mm | D80 70-200 2.8<div>00MVQ3-38423684.jpg.eaed510a827aabbe09f3c1b639bfe155.jpg</div>

scott hi,

interested with your trap focus setting. I have tried the settings on my d80 but couldnt

succeed. The camera keeps shooting when the shutter is pressed even if the object is not in

focus.. somethings Im missing I guess..

I believe this is how to do it on the D80:

Go into the "Pencil menu" and set the following:

- 03: AF-Area mode to "Single Area"

- 15: AE-L/AF-L to "AF"

Now compose your shot and set the focus by aiming the center focus indicator at a good target at the exact distance you want and pressing the "AE-L/AF-L" button near the viewfinder. This will snap the lens into focus. Then hold the shutter button until something is in focus and trips the shutter.

LET GO of the AE-L/AF-L button after setting focus, and before hitting the shutter. :-)

Hope that works.