Most Used Shooting Mode for Weddings...

joe_h3

<p>I am curious as to what mode most of you use when shooting weddings...<br>

My guess would be Aperature Priority to control over Depth of Field but wanted to get a consensus from all of you wedding photographers.<br>

Also, how many of you utilize Auto ISO vs manual setting ISO? <br>

Thanks!<br>

Cole</p>

<p>Manual ! this comes from having shot manual film cameras for years. My biggest gripe is the newest breed of photographers who shoot auto only. They do not know how varying the f-stop, ISO, shutter speed will affect the image.</p>

<p>Indoor or outdoor - Av and M.<br>

I guess , the key is to understand how your camera meters the exposer at any lighting situation and the result should meet your expectation (I mean - you have to know what should be exposed correctly before going to M).</p>

<p>Shooting ambient, I like aperture priority along with auto ISO in a 5DII. It makes the same choices I would. It tries to keep the ISO as low as possible while maintaining at least a 1/[focal length] shutter speed. It's faster at doing that than I am. I then just adjust the compensation as needed.</p>

<p>Things change in the dark, though... I can't compensate enough to get a short shutter speed in the dark when relying mostly on flash. Then I go manual everything.</p>

<p>Since I don't like to have to switch modes on the move, I tend to go back to the safety of manual most of the time. Everything can be done in full manual. No other mode offers that kind of simplicity.</p>

<p>With the 5D, I shot program, aperture priority, and manual, with manual ISO of course.</p>

<p>It's often hard to convince people, but Program mode gives almost as much control as any other mode. You just have to change your mind to use it in an aperture or shutter priority kind of way, and select a compensation based on what you know the meter is reading. It's sometimes refreshing to change how you think about controlling the camera. Just not in the middle of a job.</p>

<p>mostly manual, sometimes on my second camera I will use aperture priority, because it might be a long time between shots with it and when I want it, I want it quick, so I am willing to sacrifice a bit of control for speed in that circumstance.</p>

<p>Manual everything except White Balance. I can't remember the last time I shot on an auto mode.<br>

You are taking photos to achieve your visions, your camera does not know what you want the images to look like.</p>

<p>You should do a search. This question gets asked about every 6 months. However, if you are taking a poll, I use manual mostly. AV or TV when I really and truly don't have the time to even set anything on the camera or don't want to interrupt my visual thinking or being able to follow action as it happens. As one would think, AV when I want to control aperture and TV when I want to control shutter speed. I don't use AV automatically outside.</p>

Manual mode and ISO 100 in sunlight, ISO 400 to 800 indoors, ISO 1600 for night and dance shots, thats my starting point. Sometimes, I also use Aperture Priority in rapidly changing light conditions, provided can i can maintain my shutter speed to safe level.

<p>Camera, M mode all the time. Dedicated flash TTL mode, non dedicated flash Auto thyristor mode. </p>

<p>People forget that you can still use your meter in M mode. It doesn't go away when you switch to M. I find ambient light changes are less disruptive than the framing changes, backgrounds and the havoc that a white gown or black tux can play on a metering mode.</p>

<p>I shoot Av in 'normal' lighting, 'M' if the lighting is bad-- bright, dim, backlit, or flash. They hired me to 'think' about stuff like this.<br>

Auto ISO is an option on my eqp. But not one I've used. I still like the 'control'... maybe if auto only went to ISO 800, but it will go to 1600, which while still (surprisingly) good on my 50d, is not territory I enter into lightly, or on my cameras whim!</p>