Most Fuji Pro C-41 Films Discontinued

<p>From Scott Sheppard of Inside Analog Photo, via APUG:</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I have had face to face meeting with Fujifilm this week and this is the deal.<br /><br />160s, 160c, 800z and T64 in "ALL SIZES" also Neopan 400 in 120 - GONE...<br /><br />With the possibility of some more (chrome)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>...leaving only 400H in the "pro" field.<br>

This is a collective shot to the gut, as most thought Fuji was going to outlast Kodak in the film market. A wholesale axing like this does not bode well for the future, as this is an indicator of serious sector trouble. <br>

This leaves:</p>

<ul>

<li><strong>No</strong> C-41 sheet film made by Fuji</li>

<li>Only Neopan 100 in MF B&W</li>

<li>Only 400H in C-41 MF</li>

</ul>

<p>So much for "Last Man Standing!"</p>

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Personally, I didn't think Fuji would outlast Kodak. A lot of people complain about Kodak, but they have been restructuring their film line up to try to keep the rest alive. Trimming the fat if you will. Unfortunately, I liked some of that fat, but that's how it goes.</p>

<p>Here's the link:<br>

<a href="http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/73536-interesting-news-about-fujicolor-pro-6.html#post959885">APUG</a></p>

<p>in Dec 2009 Fuji (Russ Gunn) said in a press release that Fuji Quickloads would stop being made in April 2010; due to "sales has dropped off to such an extent that they are simply not viable products"; that is a E6 chrome sheet film that is in a quick load pack, Sheet film in E6 is to continue; by the packaging is to be 20 sheets instead of 10.<br>

<br /> This whole decline of films is just like what process camera users went through 15 years ago; products got dropped as usage contacted.</p>

<p>I can (sadly) confirm this. I went to Glazer's yesterday, and they had the email posted directly from Fujifilm stating this discontinuance. They are also discontinuing most slide films in single 120 rolls and 10 sheet boxes, and moving to 20 sheet boxes (for both 4x5 and 8x10), and 5 roll pro packs. I was told that they had been selling far more of the Portra line for 160 iso than the Fuji stuff, so they weren't surprised about that, although they didn't expect the rest of the lineup to go.</p>

<p>This is really disturbing. I too thought that Fuji would be last man standing. Thank goodness Kodak is expanding Ektar to sheet films. I believe you can add Acros in 4x5 as still available, unless I've missed something. I've been reeling from quickloads being dropped.</p>

<p>So sad. </p>

<p>I'm sorry to see Neopan 400 go. I can't imagine the movie industry is a major user of traditional B&W film, so the hobbyist segment probably weighed in significantly on the popularity of this emulsion. And ya know, Kodak TMY2 really is the better product. So right, cut throat business.</p>

<p>The Global economy sure isn't helping matters either. Too bad. I hope ACROS 100 sticks around. I liked Fujicolor 160S. But the Kodak Portra Films are really good, and they've got better market saturation in North America.<br>

It's a shame about Neopan 400, but with Tri-X, TMY2,and Ilford HP-5+ and Delta 400 around I that market was really overdone. A bigger question is what will happen to their amateur print film market. That's stilll where most new students and people interested in film get started. Looks like a bad summer ahead for film shooters. Probably better to switch now to something in production and put your money on a live horse. Dead ones don't win races....</p>

<p>None of the Fuji pro 120 films have been discontinued in Japan, at least according to their web site as of today. That includes Neopan 400, 100 (Acros), the Velvias, Pro160NC and Pro160NS (my undestanding is that these are upgrded versions of 160c and 160s). I can't speak for sheet or 35mm sizes, though.<br>

I suspect that your distributor/dealers just don't want to carry them.</p>

<p>Fujifilm has just issued a press release on the discontinuance of three film products:<br>

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/fujifilm_retires_three_films/</p>

<p>This is official. There is no mention of 160C being discontinued. As regards T64, it was dropped a year ago. There was talk of the withdrawal of 800z last year, but then they re-thought it, and the newest press release does not talk about that emulsion at all. The affected films are Neopan 400 120, Superia Reala 135 and 160s 135.</p>