Most Culturally Colorful countries

steviewander

It seems that most [travel] photographers have all discovered

those special, photogenic countries. Browse anyone's travel

web-site (and we've all got 'em!) and you see the same

repertoire of countries over and over again. Here are some of the

places that come to my mind:

Guatemala, Morocco, Myanmar, Nepal, India, Cuba, Peru,

Cambodia (Ankor Wat, that is), Tuscany, Provence, Mexico, Bali...

Wouldn't you just love to see some photos from, say:

Haiti, Congo, Sao Tome, Paraguay, Suriname, Nicaragua,

Lesotho, Bangladesh, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Finland, Latvia,

Ethiopia, or Cameroon?? : )

Yes I would, and given time I would love to provide coverage of those areas too!

Now, I consider myself an educated person, but I must confess I have no clue where Sao Tome, Suriname, and Lesotho are. BTW, at least six of the areas you propose have had recently, or are currently having, rather major civil strife that only the most seasoned photojournalists dare tread into. Might as well add Kenya to the list of countries that we all would love to shoot, if it weren't for the shoulder-launched Stinger missles aimed at the final approach path to the airport.

<i>Now, I consider myself an educated person, but I must confess I have no clue where Sao Tome, Suriname, and Lesotho are</i>

<p>

Suriname is on the northeastern side of South America, above Brazil. Lesotho is a small country in Africa. Where the heck is Sao Tome?

I hear what you're saying, Steven. That would be nice. But, if you're shooting with hopes of selling any travel work, you'll have to go where the crowds go...that's where the money is.

<p>

Remember that "Travel" usually translates into "Tourists".

I'm not quite sure what is expected by culturally colorful. Assuming that it's people related, I don't find any shortage of color in the US. Have I seen all of it? No, it's a pretty big place. Nor would I expect most Europeans have seen all of Europe, etc.

Assuming it's people related, I'd have to say that there is no shortage of people culture in the US either. Nor is it all derived from other countries or immigrant cultures. I guess it depends on how willing people are to search out alternatives to the more popular destinations, etc. However, I would think it may be asking a lot to expect too many people to leave established tourist environs for less common destinations.

(BTW, Sao Tome and Principe are islands in the Gulf of Guinea, straddling the Equator, west of Gabon. And I have to admit that impoverished island countries don't top my list of "must visit" places.)

What Craig and Jeff said. Go to the bookstore and look at William Albert Allard's <i>Portraits of America</i> and read what he has to say about rediscovering the United States over and over again.<p>

Come to Los Angeles and hang out in front of the Shakey's Pizza on Santa Monica Blvd., and you'll get more cultural color than you can handle. I went for a walk on Hollywood the other day, and I saw a guy in full gladiator getup packing his smokes against a door frame. And this guy was obviously not affiliated with the motion picture industry. Maybe it's not little kids with shaved heads, but it's not soccer moms in Ford Executioners, either, and it's a safe bet that the gladiator speaks a language that in no way resembles English.

Sao Tome and Principe is a small nation of islands in the Gulf of Guinea in West Africa. The first settlers on the island were brought by the Portuguese, convicts and exiled Jews.

A little more trivia. Argueably the smallest nation in the world is surronded by Rome, and it's not Vatican City! A small Monistary, the Priorato di Malta of which all you see of the nation is through a small keyhole. Aparently the Keyhole is lined up so you see the courtyard, Vatican City and parts of Rome, the only keyhole in the world that you can see parts of three nations!

Well, no matter how many great pictures you can make in any

country if you have time and are observant enough,

some are just more photogenic than others. For instance,

<a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/theravada/myanmar/">

Myanmar</a>

is not particularly touristic (for political reasons that are

usually misunderstood) or accessible, yet after visiting every

South-East Asia country, I must say that it is the most photogenic

of all.

Quang-Tuan is spot on - I'd love to get to Burma - lets call it what its people call it rather than the government name, but hey, its supposed to be stunning. You guys are right - there's loads of the usual - I'm as guilty as anyone on Angkor, but if all the places I've been so far in the world - that would be where I'd go back to first. I'm hoping to spend some time in the Kalahari Desert in Botswana this summer - should be pretty cultural! Also I'd list Vietnam and Lao - a little 'political' with the americans here (!!!! ;-)) but beautiful countries none the less. Am hoping to go travelling in 2 years time for 2 years - to cover from Alaska to Bolivia, Africa, India, China, Japan, SE Asia, Australia, NZ various islands and back to London on the trans siberian...think that should fill 2 years!?!?!