Mosquitos in Florida in Jan/Feb ?

wildpicture

After having heard so much about the wonderfull photographic

opportunities in Florida in the late january february period, my wife

and I are thinking about finding out for ourselves. My main interest

is bird photography. Over here in Holland, we can only dream of

getting close to any big water birds. :-(

The only thing that might put me off, is the thought of mosquitos.

Somehow I always seem to attract all the ones that are in the area.

And I seem to have some kind of allergic reaction to the bites. While

other people only have an itchy spot for a few days, I get big bumps

which are extremely itchy and sore for almost two weeks. No matter how

much I would love to photograph the birds in places like Venice and

Sanibel, if there are too many bugs around, I sadly won't visit.

In Africa I have been to many areas which are known for their malaria

musquitos, but I have never had a problem there. The actual number of

musquitos is rather low, once you move away from the water. Even in

the Okavango delta! I used Lariam as protection against the malaria

and DEET on my hands, arms, legs and even face. I know it smells bad

and tastes even worse, but it helped. My camera and lenses are metal

so there is less fear of dissolving plastics. :-) The only problem I

have encountered in Africa was getting flee bites from baboons.

Extremely itchy too!

So my question is: How would the musquito situation be in Florida on

the popular bird spots during January and February? Anybody with some

peronal experience in this at this time?

Regards,

Hans

Hans, I've been to Florida several times. I have not noticed mosquitos being bad around Ft. Myers, Sanibal, Venice or Corkscrew Swamp. But, the Everglades is another story, especially the southern part near Flamingo. At Ding Darling on Sanibal, knats are a problem in shaded areas and when there is no wind.

It is a great time of year to visit Florida, there will be many other photographers where ever you go, have a good time and forget about the bugs.

Hans,

I live here in Fort Lauderdale and can assure you mosquitoes are not a problem at that time of year. October to May is relatively clear. You may see some and may even venture into a area where they get annoying but it is NOT a problem. I always carry sunblock and mosquito repellant in the car. You will need the Sunblock more than you will need the repellant.

Mike

I have spent about eight different Christmas holidays in southern Florida at the major birding places. I have not been bothered by

swarms of mosquitos, but they can be found there. Generally, they tend not to bother me, but my wife can stand near me and be bitten.

Another thing that you should watch for is fire ants. I have been bitten at the birding spots in both Florida and Texas. They put huge welts on my feet and legs and some deep scars still remain after 18

months. My best advice regarding insects is to use two kinds of

insect repellent. The first is only for clothing, not for skin. You spray it on your clothing and its lasts for about two weeks. The other is the DEET derivative for your skin which should be applied several times a day. After my bad experience with fire ants, this is the combination that I trust.

Mosquitos like me. I'm a Brit and they find me extremely tasty. I've been down to FL in both Dec/Jan and April, and on most of the *open* trails (like Anhinga Trail, Shark Alley) DEET may not be necessary. However on some of the shaded, dark, enclosed trails there are enough mosquitos to make you unhappy if you were not wearing DEET-based repellents. Nevertheless, for most of the primary bird photography areas you should be OK. Even Corkscrew Swamp (highly recommended) seems relatively free of mosquitos.

I've been in Everglades NP several times in January and early February, and once in June. When compared with the levels in June, January wasn't very bad at all. However, for someone not from a mosquito-y area (I live in the SF Bay Area in California), it may seem like a lot. The levels in January were definitely noticable to my wife and I.</p>

Of course more open trails have fewer mosquitos; shadier ones and those nearest water have more. And as sunset approaches and it cools slightly, the mosquitos become <b>much</b> more active. If you're looking for nice warm light, you'll probably be out during this period, and since you're interested in birds, you'll probably be near some water.</p>

<i>I know it smells bad and tastes even worse</i></p>

Since you are sensitive to them, be prepared, but be careful with the DEET -- it is a poison. Don't go around swallowing too much of it or getting it in your mucous membranes...</p>

So I wouldn't let it stop you from going, but definitely be prepared. You might consider getting one of those silly-looking but effective mosquito net hats to protect your face and neck, and have lightweight long pants and shirt to cover the rest of you.

Ditto the above; I've been in Southern Florida in early March and the bugs can be really bad at certain times of day. Seems like sunrise and sunset are the worst. Also, don't wear dark clothing - for some reason they seem to like black. All this aside, the normal precautions that one should be prepared to take in most wet areas should solve the problem. I, for one, don't apply the DEET unless it is absolutely necessary, and then I start with socks, sleeves and collar rather than directly on the skin. And I always wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.

Hi Hans!

I can only comment on the 'glades, Keys and some areas in the Orlando area.

Like stated above, only when you encounter shaded areas with slow moving water one will have to face the buggers. This is basically everywhere and even more intense when warm. When/if a cold front moves in almost no mosquitos are around.

When I first visited the Flamingo area and got out of the car I was immediately "attacked" by several dozens of mosquitos and my arms were covered with them. I paniced, as I never experienced this before. So I fled and bought spray (I forgot what brand) in the store at the habour there that was very efficient.

The second time I went, I met a German couple that used mosquito net hats, long sleeves and gloves. They had spent 2 full days around Eco pond where the mosquitos can attack fiercefully (they showed me the results), especially if you move away from the viewing platform. That day I was there it was windy, I was only protected by "normal" bugspray and was wearing long sleeves. I still had a few bites, but it wasn't too bad.

I guess in order to get good bird shots you will have to sacrifice a little bit of your blood. The mosquitos belong to the wildlife too..

This is an observation and not scientifically proven, but it seems

to me that mosquitos are around all year but they are not active

when the temperature falls below a certain value. So if you are

lucky enough to be in Florida after a cool front has passed

through, my experience (based on the larger Texas species!) is

that you will not be bitten. If the temperature gets up around 80

degrees F, then the skeeters will likely be active.

My Fiancee and I went last January, Sanibel and the Keys. While I'm not sensitive at all she is VERY sensitive and has nasty welts that last for a couple of months. Sanibel after Sunrise wasn't a problem at all, but the Keys were another story. Her Mother was furious with me! We were camping in the lower Keys, Ohio Key I believe, and that seems to be where she had most of her problems.

By the way, the wildlife was incredible! Not only wading birds (and very unafraid!) but several repitles, including a Crocodile (rare that far north, Aligators however are fairly common). If you go you'll have a great time. A pick up some shells!

Cheers,

Doug Stemke

As far as Deet is concerned, it is effective but is also very dangerous and can be very distructive to plastics, including film, camera bodies, sunglasses, and parts of automobille bodies and tents and camping equipment. I have used aromatic oils of juniper, or basil, or rosemary or citronella mixed with isoprophyl alcohol. I usually mix about 2 to 3 ml aromatic oil with 180 ml alcohol and use that in a spray bottle. It smells ok (the juniper smells like a martini!) and seems to be a very good insect repellent for about 2 to 3 hours. When you are through it will even wash off, which is another problem with Deet.

Controlled tests of citronella vs. deet show that deet's easily an order of magnitude more effective.

Tests also show that the "jungle juice" level of concentration (99% deet) is no more effective than strong sprays that have more modest concentrations. IIRC effectiveness stopped increasing at something like a 25% concentration. Since deet is rather nasty, especially to plastics, this is good to know.

When I use deet I spray and spread the stuff, then wash my hands to avoid eating cameras, film, my rubberized Zeiss binoculars, etc. I have to slap at the skeets crawling over my hands, but I figure that's a reasonable tradeoff.

It surprises me that you have so much trouble with mosquitos during the daytime. In all my trips to Africa, even in places which are known for their mosquitos, I have never had any trouble during daylight hours. Once the sun sets you'll need protection, against the bites and against malaria. That is when I wear long trousers and long sleeves and apply DEET. Then I also put it on my face and hands. During the day I have never had to use it at all.

Maybe you could just send some of those beautifully coloured and tame birds to Holland. Sometimes it seem like all the birds here are both brown and extremely shy.