More Widelux & Panoram: Route 66

Gene, coming from you, I'm very flattered. Thanks!

I think the most surprising one is the last one, my son asleep. Man, it's got every detail - the rumpled blanket, our gear stashed willy-nilly in there, stuff dusty and dirty, and just exhausted.

I've got to put together a slide show of the pics, as I'm going to do a talk on 66 at the local (Clyde, Ohio) library towards the end of February. At the same time, I'll have some of the panos on display there as well, to help drum up interest in the talk.

It's voluntary, but the librarians are nice there, and it's a way of sharing / giving back to the community.

Karl: Thanks! What's being repaired on your Panoram? Who works on them? Mine hangs up on the left-to-right low-speed exposure. I can work around it, by never starting from the left at low-speed, but if it can be fixed I might do so.

Tony: Thanks! Am curious - what is "cook's tour"? Is that like a "busman's holiday"?

David M: Thanks! Sitgreaves Pass was hot as (fill in the blank). But the reason for the stop there was a little spring in the cliff called Schafer's Fishbowl, about the size of a hand-washing sink. The spring had some bricks laid in place around it to create a reservoir, rather than just seeping down the side of the cliff. I'd been through there in 1984 when I saw it for the first time, and recalled it having fish, but back then I didn't know why or what it was called. A Google search prior to the 2007 trip gave the name and a story about somebody putting fish in the spring, creating an instant tourist attraction back in the old days. Sadly, the fish are gone. Probably cooked during a drought would be my guess, or maybe they die off each year and people quit re-stocking the fishbowl. But lots of evidence of cows (dung) getting drinks at the spring. Anyway, by the time I walked up to the fishbowl and looked around, the scene below was just perfect. The fishbowl is just out of the frame on the left.

The trip down Route 66, if you're into commercial archeology, is pretty amazing. 80% of the route still exists and can be driven, but I'd guess that 90% of the infrastructure is gone. Small towns will have 3-4 motels at each end, and all are closed. Gas stations and diners, almost the same thing, but a few have hung on by servicing locals. The really old alignments of Route 66 are now dirt ranch roads, and now and then there'll be a motel behind barbed wire, no doors anymore, cattle using it for shade / shelter. Several small towns had subways so the kids could cross under a Route 66 that was bumper-to-bumper with traffic, but now you read the plaque and hang out a bit, and there's just a handful of cars in 10-20 minutes' time.

Punch line is that I didn't think I'd like a trip down Route 66. I wanted to go to Alaska for the father-son bonding, but my son wanted 66 because of the movie "Cars." After the fact, I've no regrets.

We took 2 weeks to go the 2300 miles from Chicago-to-LA, but somebody else shooting more and savoring the experience and waiting for just the right light or weather, could easily double that time.

• Like 1

I sent it to Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain.

www.baldmtn.com

Mine had a couple of tears in the bellows, fairly erratic lens swing, missing red window on the back, and a dry bubble level. On the plus side it is quite nice in terms of cosmetics and it has a Goerz Doppel anastigmat lens (i.e. early Dagor). It wasn't a cheap fix but still just about the cheapest way to do 6x17cm hand held.