More Romantic Black and White Photography

timberwolf1

Using Black and White film or digital setting, how would I create a more romantic story for

a wedding? What are the techniques, methods, procedures and equipment that I could

choose from to create a more "romantic" story for a wedding? What planning aspects

would I use? What props? Do you have any examples of these images for me to see using

whatever methods you are using?

Anything that lends itself to a standard procedure or set of props

is better suited to creating a more trite, cliched set of photos

rather than a more romantic story. There's little romance in

playing along with a photographer's engineered, set-up shots.

We pretty much set-up every candid...we place the subjects in a "pleasing" light and still hand-meter every shot. We guarentee almost 89% of every roll we take >>> the couple will more than enjoy...especially since we include all the negatives! Romance is in the lighting and relaxed display ~~ of the ones you are capturing~~

\

http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/

I don't think it is a case of either or. The word "Romantic" itself conjures up pre conceived,

generalized notions of places or events. Paris is more romantic than Detroit ... so I have to

search for possible locations that feel romantic. The Ritz is more romantic than the VFW

hall, so I have to look harder at the interaction of the subjects and work the lighting to

support a more romantic feel when the ambience leaves something to be desired.

In fact, some of these reception halls have already manufactured so called "romantic

settings" like grand staircases, European facades or gardens... all of which are cliched as

hell and guarantee "bride descending the staircase" shots in a hundred albums a year.

Other than that, I'd tend to agree with Mike, that manufacturing a more romantic

atmosphere can be come trite and formulaic... (unless you have the budget of a major

motion picture or a really adventurous bride). For example, I'd love to shoot a Bride at the

Ford-Rouge Complex (see Michael Kenna's industrial landscapes shot there), but to date

haven't found a Bride willing to do so. But I'll pull it off some day even if I have to make a

separate project of it and pay for a model and dress rental myself.<div>0089Em-17855084.jpg.5ac668cdccc894da45cfdf27d7a1278e.jpg</div>

I think if the romance isn't there.....well, where are you going to get it? I watched a friend photograph a wedding in which the bride giggled through the entire ceremony. I never figured out what she was doing there. I think the groom's grandmother insisted that they get married -since they already had a child-or there might be a threat of disinheritance......

<P>

Now, I think if you can start with that, and make something "romantic" out of it.....first, bravo, and second.....it might be worth you time...because you could consider it an humane thing on your part....perhaps seeing a romantic photo of herself with the groom might shock the bride into some kind of awareness.....of what she was doing.

<P>

But go ahead and try it...."make" something romantic.....see if you can.