More Oldies but Goodies

al_kaplan1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More steps down memory lane! Thanks, Todd, for the great scans. The prints are all vintage prints from the 60's and 70's. The first shot is probably from the early 70's, standing in my front yard, by my then wife Stephanie. I think she took all of these except for the next one, the shot of me with Senator Claude Pepper, and that was probably clicked off with my camera by Barry University's public relations director Earl Bradshaw.

The third shot was at a Coconut Grove art gallery where I was picking pix to hang in a group photography show in the late 60's. I can'tremember their names!

The fourth photo was in Westport, CN, early 70's, with my good friend Jon Sinish, who is a great photographer and has an ad agency there. The woman is Shirley Rigby. I first met her when she was an editor at the old Miami News. She moved to New York to take an editorial job with Time Magazine. Does anybody know where she is these days? I lost touch with her years ago.

The shot of me playing guitar dates to about 1965, as do the shots of me fishing in the Old New Bedford Resevoir in Massachusetes.

All but the shot with Senator Pepper were likely shot with a red dial III-f. Pepper was shot with either an M2, M2-R, or an M4.

Lee, I remember an unbelievable amount of trivia from the old days. The North Miami city staff are always consulting me about why so-and-so got a certain variance back in '79, or such. I've served on either the Planning Commission or Board of Adjustment about forever. Ask me what I had for lunch today? Did I EAT lunch today?...LOL

Sel-portraits, and portraits of one's self by others, are interesting to me.

Currently at the San Francisco MOMA there is a major exhibit by a painter which consists only of self portraits from the early 1960's to the present. He is now disabled and has a special easel that lowers into the floor of his studio so he is always at eye level. Forgot his name. I'll check it out.

I also have a rather large book titled "Camera I" which contains nothing but either self-portraits or those taken of the photographer by others.

I'd like to see some of your self-portraits sometime. When I first joined Photo.net, I put up a question "Who Are You?" which was rather popular. I think it still exists somewhere.

I like people, and I like to see them visually, and learn of their history. I guess that's why I'm interested in Al's work.

I'm with some of the member here ... Al, most of the shots your're showing us are either self portrait or picture of you taken by other people. Would it be possible to see something else from the 60's and 70's .. ? I'm not saying these pictures are not good but I think I'm at a point where I'm fed up with them ...

Fred

;Very PC today ...