More of a thank you (Marc Williams) ... but please tell me what you think ...

toddcwilson

I'm posting this as more of a thank you, but I would also like to hear your

thoughts on this image - is a little too creative? I wouldn't mind hearing any

criticisms out there as well.

I thought I'd share this in light of a recent post by Marc Williams about the

type and content of some of the posts in this particular forum; as matter of

fact, this shot was inspired by a close-up that Marc took of a lady holding a

wine glass at a reception, I just built on it a little. Thanks Marc.

I've learned a lot from this forum, there is some quality insight shared here

that I think is invaluable. Where else can I benefit from the thoughts and

experiences of other photographers in a casual environment with out getting on a

plane? There are of course other forums and sites, but my point is there has

been some great information disseminated here that has helped me tremendously, I

just had to look for it (i.e. searching the forum).

I only mention Marc because of his recent post as mentioned above, there are

many great contributors here that I would like to say thanks to. Your thoughts

and input has, in my mind anyway, complimented my book studies and practice

tremendously.

The rest of the series of this wedding can be viewed here:

http://www.toddcwilsonphotography.com/Galleries/Weddings/index.html

Anyway, thanks again all. You are appreciated by this photographer. I hope to

contribute at the same level one day, and will due to return the favor.<div>00MxaP-39151884.jpg.d8597be4d8ab86d4624032f90c50b059.jpg</div>

Very nice post. I learn a lot on this particular forum as well.

As for your image, I don't think there is a limit to creativity on any picture! I would say, though, the exposure is a little wide (meaning, dark on her face, bright in the background). Still a great moment, though.

I also checked out the rest of the images on your site. Solid stuff!

All the best,

Rachel :o)

I think the message of the image is a bit unclear.

It's a selective focus shot but my eyes are drawn to her face (because it's a face and because it's different (darker) than the rest). The face though is OOF but not the hand that is in focus. Why? Is the hand more important? I don't think so in this case but if she had a wedding ring on the finger it could have worked.

From a technical view it's difficult when you're working with severe backlight because the edges disappers on the subject. In this case she has a little cut&paste look to her hear head. The only way I know to subdue the backlight is to cut down ambient with a faster shutter speed and increase the light on the subject with flash. And of course adjust the exposure on the subject.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey Todd,

I have to say, I don't think you can ever be too creative...isn't that what we are all trying to do? out-create the next person? ;) In all seriousness though, I do like this image, but might like it a little more w/o the sepia toning.....

As for the rest of the images on your site, well done! I really like your colors, and your compositions are creative....one thing though, think about when tilt adds to an image, and don't just use it to use it (I too have been a victim of this).

-Reema

Thanks Rachel and Peter.

Peter, it's actually part of a sequence that has a little more meaning, the slide backward is of the champaign being poured. I bracketed the exposure and did get a "correct" one, but this worked (for me, anyway) for this particular scene. Guess it would have helped to have explained;-). Thanks much!

I have to agree that the first thing my eye went to in the image was her face, and with the DOF that didn't work well for me. The head really does have a feel to it like it was cut out with a pair of scissors. The hand being so large also adds an almost cartoonish aspect to it that really doesn't compliment the feel.

That said, this is all my personal opinion, and I'm not your paying client. ;) The important thing is - did the bride like it??

I think this is a a good idea and good composition but would definetely have bigger impact if shot in a darker environment, lid by a candle light.

In this composition, the right glass is burnt out and the waisted space on the left of the shot is out of interest.

More OOF of the lady's face would remove the "distraction".

Crops work well too but definetely with a darker environment.

Good job.

The photo works IF it fits your overall style. If the photo "fits" your style, as portrayed on your website, then it's a perfect fit.

I'd say that it doesn't fit only if you've created this one toned image and it's not "matching" the spirit of the rest of your images for that particular wedding and your overall style: which is what the bridal couple hired you for in the first place.

If you're concerned about it fitting then just give them a black and white version as well as this on and let them enjoy your creativity.