jamesdak

I had lunch the other day with my friend who's a space alien from

planet Cibachrome and he told me he heard a rumor that Kodak was

going to quit manufacturing film. He said if that happened they

where gonna take the ol' space ship and fire some laser at the Kodak

factory to reduce it to a smoldering wreck! Oh yeah, and he said

Elvis says Hi! Sorry everyone, I just couldn't resist. Time to get

off the computer and go run some Velvia through my camera. Need to

get it out of the fridge so I can buy some food, right Clinton?!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim- My mailman just delivered the Summer 2005 edition of B&H's catalog. I can't wait to look at all the new film cameras.................. Hmmmm, that's funny, there's no new film cameras, only digital crap.

Could it be.....FILM IS DYING?!?!?! No one wants to spend the money developing something for a dying market.

I think there will be huge discounts! Film cameras will be sold as

old stock and by the pound. Buy one get one. Bring your own bag

to put em in. Or you pay a certain amount of money and you get

all you can carry without a bag, like pumpkins. Sorry couldn't stop

myself! Film is here to stay even if its a specialized field. Large

format photography did not disappear after the availability of

35mm.

It's not that my job is bad humored... but i really had a good smile when i saw this new tread.

Frank: Which color is going to attack agfa? And, since you have that rumor information, give the colour of the one's attacking ilford.

Jim: If you need space to store your food give me a "call", i've plenty of space in my fridge since no film is there... it all went to the srt and the dynax.

And by the way, don't aliens use 8 track magazines?

According to information the aliens have acquired from Photo.net, it takes a 100

megapixel camera to compete with Velvia. The same source has informed the aliens

that a 3 MP digital camera produces an 8x10 equivalent to a print from Kodak Gold

100. It is a true fact. The aliens have decided to incinerate our planet because human

logic has been proven to be incredibly faulty, due to the fact that humans often rely

on obviously skewed data in order to validate whatever object they have invested the

most monetary units on. Good Day!

<p>

<a href="http://www.jakeholtphotography.com">jakeholtphotography.com</a>

Here's an idea of how KonicaMinolta can make money for the camera division. They can sell used manual-focus cameras. Not new ones mind you as they would cost too much, but used 30 year old cameras. It seems that many of the posters on this board are stuck in the late 20th Century. So KM should cater to the old-fogeys set in their ways, looking at life with blinders on. Hell these old-fogeys refuse to even spring for a new AF 35mm camera, preferring to dig around looking for 30 years old SRTs and even Hi-Matic 7s. No wonder KM is losting money in the camera segment.

I went to see Star Wars Episode III last night. There were many people in line playing with their video games. They were playing Sony PS2 and the latest Nintendo units. But, I could spot the Minolta users as the were the ones with TV plugged into the electrical outlets playing PONG and Space Invaders.

Clinton,

Maybe when people can no longer buy film or film cameras, they will recognize how pathetic and stupid they are for not accepting your proclamations. Right now, they're probably just blinded by the fact that they still have several dozen film emulsions, several dozen models of new cameras, and thousands of used cameras to choose from. Since no one seems to actually use Kodak for their film processing, they don't realize how significant your news is.

It is amazing how much new stuff about society and people are revealed through internet discussions. Someone is panicking because he has a film camera and he is afraid no one will pay anything for it when he buys a digital camera.

No, probably he is not going to get a significant amount of money for it, because the second hand market is overflowing with film cameras at the time. But all the more reason to keep using film. I've used digital for a year and film for 11, and am still using more film than digital. Why would anyone sell the film SLR in exchange for a digital one eludes me. I just don't get it. Can't you Clinton see that they are different things?

Also, on Popular Photography: it was never a good magazine to begin with, they just talk about mainstream stuff - like digital capture. Darkroom techniques are found in black and white magazines. Many of us who use film a lot nevertheless choose to use the computer to do darkroom work instead of a traditional darkroom, and this explains why POPULAR photography magazine doesn't talk about it.

Jim - NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY you have woken the FiD Soothsayer and he has emerged from his lair all pop guns blazing.

Please all of you be aware, do not make any sensible points as you will be "wasting your sweetness on the desert air".

Anybody want to buy a 9 - one going cheap I believe somewhere near here.

Clinton my friend, I did see the work "new" in your post but I thought it was a rumor, LOL!!!

To the rest of the forum: You know as I read, and yes shamefully contribute as a lark, I feel that I am on DPreview not Photo.net. We don't normally deal with such silliness here!! But, it does make for a slightly amusing weekend.

Ilkka- I really don't care if I sell my film camera, I usually end up giving my old equipment away. I gave away two SRT101s (one black), and lenses, 35mmf/1.8, 58mmf/1.2, 135mm/f2.8, 300mmf/4 Rokkors, and Sigma 16mmf/2.8, when I bought my first Maxxum. And I gave away my first Maxxum. Some pieces I dumped because fungus got to them, like my 50mmf/1.4. The only piece I sold was a 24mmf/2.8, when I bought a 20mmf/2.8, but only because someone offered to buy it. I've had so many bodies that I can't remember which models, other than the SRTs and the Maxxum 9, I've owned. Then there was the time I worked for Minolta and had ALL the lenses, escept the 600, at my disposal.