More fun - - a 'nuther Nettar---tips?

markdeneen

<p>I am really having fun diving into these 120 cameras. I just got my Zeiss Nettar (517/16) in the mail today. It is fitted with a Novar Anastigmat 75mm f/6.3. It looks SUPER clean. I am going out to give it a test run with Tmax 400.</p>

<p>I just noticed while learning to set the controls that this isn't rangefinder coupled (duh, huh?) so I guess you simply uh, guess the distance. Are there any "tips" for using this camera? Seems straightforward enough.</p>

<p>In the realm of these Zeiss folders, which are the "primo" models? Which ones have the best lens, I guess?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>so I guess you simply uh, guess the distance.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, of course. The Nettars do not have any rangefinder. They were the cheap "entry-level" models (but still of very high Zeiss quality).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In the realm of these Zeiss folders, which are the "primo" models?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The Super Ikontas.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Which ones have the best lens, I guess?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Anything that has a Tessar lens. But the actual condition of the camera and lens is more important in regards to image quality. And managing to focus accurately is essential, too.</p>

<p>Yeah, so I just got back after shooting about 14 frames with the Nettar. I think I did ok at estimating subject distance, but of course the question will be how accurate is the scale on the lens? I'll find out in a couple days. It's a fun camera to use. An awful lot of people ask me questions about the camera. It's a bit like driving into the gas station with a Model T. "Hey, that's a neat old camera - what is it?"</p>

<p>Super Ikonta - Tessar lens - - - check!</p>