More from the Dhow

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by preston_merchant, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Here are a few more shots from the Indian dhow docked at Sharjah in the UAE, which I visited a few weeks ago. Comments appreciated.
    007Owr-16644484.JPG

2. The dhows are berthed four and five deep at the pier and must be re-arranged by hand and by pulling ropes.
    007Owy-16644584.JPG

3. This boat carried mostly sacks of grain. When a bag broke, having been tossed into the hold, it had to be sewn.
    007Ox5-16644684.JPG

4. They carried a variety of lentils and red sorghum, which had come from Australia.
    007Ox7-16644784.JPG

5. There's no privacy for the crew of 12, no cabins, no bathroom. Bathing occurs on deck.
    007OxC-16644884.JPG

6. The crew make their own paan--an Indian chewing tobacco flavored with lime and crushed betel nut. They all carry these little plastic kits with the ingredients.
    007OxG-16644984.JPG

7. An interesting story but I feel the pictures could have been closer. The one about the chewing tobacco, for example would have been more informative if we could see the kit of ingredients. Definitely a good effort though.

8. <<Here are a few more shots from the Indian dhow docked at Sharjah>>

Is that the Indian nasdaq docked next to it?

9. In the first picture, I like the repetition of the angle of the bag of grain and the man's shirt. It really makes the picture work.

10. << Is that the Indian nasdaq docked next to it? >>

Jay, it is your first very funny comment, congratulation.

11. Wow!<p>
    Jay made a joke!<br>
    Let's start a new forum!!<br>
    Perhaps even a new holiday!!! :)<p>

12. There are generally two types of paan, at least in India. One uses tobacco; the other just uses betel nut, spices and lime. The latter is called "sweet paan" and is very good after a meal, although the red juice-spittle from the betel nut appears everywhere. Kind of an Indian impromptu grafitti if you will.