Moosehead Lake Maine

jeff_nadler1

I am seeking suggestions for hot spots (road or water) for

photographing moose in this moose-dense destination in northern Maine.

My unknown factor is how far away the moose will be and what lens.

While my budget won't allow me to purchase the Canon 100-400IS, I'm

not sure I'll be prepared and happy with my budget 70-300USM.

Although 3rd party lens are not ideal, the basic decision is whether

to purchase the Sigma 400-5.6 as a compromise. Looking for suggestions

on locations and lens decision assuming the stock market just blew

away my ability to buy the desirable Canon long lenses.

Jeff, I have for the past 4 years had great sucess at Baxter State Pk.

You will be able to get excellent images w/ a 300mm or longer lens. Of course the head shots and calf in the grass photos will be safer w/ a longer lens. Be careful in the spring the cows w/calfs can be aggresive, as can the Adult males in the fall. The Sigma 400 5.6 is a very sharp lens. I will be leading a photo-workshop to Baxter in the fall, For more info contact me direct or at Naturephotographers.net

Check out the review of the Sigma 500 4.5AFD.

-Chas

Are you aware of the bugs/blackflies/mosquitos that are around in spring in Maine? If you've never experienced them you're in for a treat! They can make it virtually impossible to photograph without drenching yourself in bug spray and wearing protective gear (net).

I usually look for Moose in the fall. In the spring I stay out of the woods! I have shot Moose in Maine in the spring (June), but from the car, and even then the bugs were so bad I couldn't keep the windows open for long. This was in a region just south of Baxter.

My experience with Moose is that you can use anything from a 1200mm or longer lens (600/4 + 2x) to a 28-70 zoom depending on your luck (or lack thereof). The Moose I've experienced have generally not been aggresive, but you really shouldn't get too close to them as they can be dangerous and unpredicatable at times.

We are going in the tourist season of July. Less bugs. We are first going to Acadia along with the other zillion people. Our plan will be to avoid Bar Harbor and find the less crowded parts of the park to the west. I've have seen in the archives that Acadia wildlife includes bald eagles and seals. Probably will not see much in the tourist season! My research concludes that Moosehead Lake actually has more moose than Baxter. Possibly due to more logged lands.

You'll see eagles and seals from Acadia, especially if you take one of the many nature cruises out of Bar Harbor. It's quite unlikely you'll get any decent photographs of either though, as you'll be shooting from a boat and they won't be very close. I've seen both seals and eagles fairly close to the shore on the western side of the island, but still too far away for decent shots even with a 600mm lens. I've

never found Acadia to be a particularly good park for wildlife photography, though I've been lucky at times with red squirrels, mergansers and various seabirds (gulls, eider ducks etc.).

Bugs should be better in July. I visit in early June - I'd rather have the bugs than the crowds!

I'm not sure July is a good time for Moose. I hear they tend to stay in the woods during the summer (July, August) and hang out more at the ponds in Spring and Fall, but I don't know how true that is since I only visit in spring and fall.

I did Moosehead lake several years ago in the fall. Spent a week

looking for a Moose, no luck. kept hearing reports I just missed

one. The last day I was there, I got a shot of a large male. Must

have been 100 yards away, if you look carefully you can tell it's a

Moose, taken with a 600 mm lens! The lady at the nearby

resturant said there had been three grazing by the highway for

the last week. Of course we were driving the logging trails where

we were told they hang out.

Baxter is really the best place. Secluded area, nice ponds, and

people in the area who will help you locate the Moose.

Moosehead Lake is a close second, but there are no gurantees.

Good Luck

Charlie

Well, my wife and I did this trip during the first week of July last

year. Bugs were not a big problem. We stayed at two incredible

bed and breakfasts. At Moosehead Lake we stayed at the Lodge

at Moosehead Lake, a really wonderful place

(www.lodgeatmooseheadlake.com). We went on a "moose

safari" arranged with a local guide through the lodge. It was

inexpensive. The guide knew exactly when and where to view

moose in that area. We viewed them from a canoe. It was really

great. You may want to contact the Lodge to find out the name of

the guide. I got decent photos with a 100-400IS lens, but a 600

would be better (hard to use in a canoe!).

At Acadia we stayed at another amazing B and B called the Inn at

Canoe Pointe. They also have a website I think (probably

www.innatcanoepointe.com). This is a lovely place right on the

water near the entrance to Acadia and away from town. I think

that wildlife would be hard to photograph there, but the

landscapes (and sunsets) are gorgeous. Also, the fishing town

on the other side of the island has lots of colorful boats, lobster

traps, and other great subjects. You must eat dinner at a new

restaurant in Bar Harbor called "Havana". It's worth braving the

crowds for. One of the best meals we have had in years. Have a

great time!!

Keep an eye out for moose if you drive through New Hampshire.

In re: Acadia. You're hitting the high season. Try the other side of Mt. Desert island -- Drive past Southwest Harbor to Bass Harbor. We stay there every year. The boats in Bass Harbor are mostly working lobster boats. Don't expect much wildlife, though.

I'll second not getting close to moose. I saw a home vidio clip on the news that showed a guy walking right up to a moose that wandered into town. The moose killed him with one kick.

There is a nice lady that runs a little shop on the Kangamagus Highway near Rte 16 in New Hampshire. She showed me a whole book of great pictures of Moose she has taken over the years. I remember she said she goes out a little before dusk and she has used a flash, which did not seem to bother them. I was taking a picture at Lily Pond one day along the highway and I noticed I was standing next to some huge Moose footprints. If you're in that area, stop by the store, it's on the right when you're heading west from Rte. 16. She might be able to help you. Sorry I can't remember the name of her shop. I was surprised about her use of flash!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Being born and raised in Maine, I can tell you there are more moose in Baxter State Park than around the Moosehead region. Another great area is the Rangely region. Yes the bugs are thick in the spring, thats one reason you see the moose on the side of the road. The other is they are licking the water which contains road salt from the winter. Something no-one has mentioned....If you want to shoot a big fat Bull Moose with all the trimmings, you have to go in the fall. ALL moose look the same in the spring. A bull moose looses its antlers every year. Isnt that what your really looking for, the moose in the pond with the water and vegitation running off his antlers. So my suggestion is to go in the fall. Also go early morning or later near evening. They like to hide during the day. Hope this helps