Moose photography

banditsuni

Hello,

I am heading to "Moose Valley" in New Hampshire in late September. I

am looking for spots nicer than the roadside to photograph moose. I

would love to find some ponds, bogs, swamps, etc that are likely to

have moose. These should be accessible either on foot (no more than 4-

5 miles one way), or regular, low clearance car. Also looking for

some nice hikes, especially if they have a possibility of moose.

Thanks for any help.

Judy Fabian

If by "Moose Alley" you're referring to Route 3 along the Connecticut Lakes, I've been there and it's beautiful country. As long as you keep the actual road out of the photo, a roadside shot of a moose would look very wilderness-y. Unfortunately, when I spent a couple of days up there in early September two years ago, I saw not a single moose. (It was pouring rain the whole time, which some people said was the problem.) I didn't see much in the way of hiking trails, but then I wasn't looking (because of the rain). There are some trails in the vicinity of Dixville Notch, just a bit south of there - and that's more scenic country, too. The North Country Chamber of Commerce (http://www.northcountrychamber.org/) has a nice visitor center just south of Colebrook, as I recall, with a "moose map" and the latest tips. A beautiful area and well worth a trip, moose or no moose!

You may want to check out this site:

http://wildlifewatcher.com/ne.phtml

If you are able to get onto a pond or calm lake at sunset in a canoe you can gently float out and will often find the moose wading and feeding on the water plants. A couple years ago I was able to float out and get as close as 50 ft from moose to photograph them. Don't float directly towards them, and don't approach a cow with calves. I was in Jackman, NH last week and we did see one moose crossing a road with two calves in the woods waiting to follow. We also saw a bear and cub crossing a field behind the house we rented.

Good luck.

I am sorry to say that I have never seen any Moose in the area that you mention. I have found them in NH way up north, along Route 16 after passing Berlin and of course in northern Maine. Please take a look to some of the Moose that I have photographed in Maine. There is one in the North Woods gallery and several in the Moose page. Best of luck!