Brooke and Garry on the Lighting forum. Something starting with the

basics would be ideal.

I have Photoshop 6 and the matching Real World Photoshop book. The

book looks great for someone who already has Photoshop experience,

but I'm finding it to be very overwhelming. It's not the type of

book a novice can pick up, thumb through and find what they want. At

least not this novice. I see a lot of stuff about channels, layers,

masks, RBG, CMYK and the like, but I can't figure out how to do the

simple task of combining two photos side-by-side in one frame.

Surely I'm not the only Photoshop moron who needs a little hand

holding?????

Melissa,

Hope your wish comes true for you. In the mean time, please have a look at "Classroom in a Book" for Photoshop. This is just about one of the best entry level book.

<a href = "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201710161/qid=1093822104/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/002-1154148-7717626?v=glance&s=books " target = "_blank">Available at Amazon</a>

Have you checked out Total Training's video training? They are an "Adobe Solutions Network Certified Training Provider", and the CS version has helped me a lot.<p>There is a <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51344&item=3696275731&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW">Total Training for Photoshop 6 set (12 VHS tapes plus 2 CDs) on the auction site</a> (the bid is currently $20.50, and ends 22hrs+15min from the time of my posting this). Quite a bit cheaper than the current $300 CS version!

Very good suggestion IMO.

I've been using PS since v3.1 but I still struggle. I've read the books, been on a course, bought a course on CD etc but all they seem to do is to make my head hurt. The problem with normal learning media is the lack of interaction - on the Lighting forum we explain a basic principle or technique, demonstrate how to do it and then sit back and wait for questions and examples from other people. Then the questions and comments come in, which adds to the learning experience.

I think that a regular theme on digital darkroom would be a tremendous help - it would certainly help me. A word of caution though, we've found that it's a big commitment, and it doesn't seem to be very popular with the PN administration

Hi,

Check out ed2go.com. Works through colleges, have three PS7 courses available, 6 wks, 12 lessons each, instructor available on line, and only $69.00 per course. Have a basic course for the Absolute Beginner, Intro to PS7, and Intermediate PS7. Instructor is Sherry London who has a regular article in NAPP magazine (National Association of Photoshop Professionals). I'm on Intermediate and hoping she develops an advance course. Excellent for learning the basics. I had all the books (Classroom in a Book, RW PS7, PS 7.0 for Photographers, etc) but only really began to get a handle on PS with Sherry's courses.

Please, be sure and take the beginner's course, PS7 for the Absolute Beginner. I had some experience with PS so almost skipped it. Glad I didn't!

Good luck!

Al

Thanks everyone. It's good to know that I'm not alone in my cluelessness. ;-)

Paul, I watched the auction closely but it went for $80 including shipping. A bargain, I'm sure. But out of my current price range. I just forked out $450 as a down payment for my son's braces today. Being a single mom has it's rewards, but finances isn't one of them.

Al, the courses look good. They might be something I'll consider in the future--when I'm a little less broke. I'm sure your link has intrigued many who've read but not posted this thread. I've bookmarked them to visit later.

Jim, you cheap son of a gun. You are a man after my own heart. LOL

I signed up for the FREE Cnet class. I hope I have time to keep up. If all goes as planned, I'll also be enrolled in a college math class this semester. (I HATE MATH) So much to learn, so little time.