Monopod on Airplanes

stephen_w.

I'd be surprised if you were let onboard with it. Your best bet if you can't find a bag big enough is probably to give it to the gate personel so that the flight attendants will keep it during the flight and will give it back to you at your destination.

I went from NJ to Florida last week with my monopod in my carry-on suitcase and had no problems either leg of the journey. It was placed near the wall of the suitcase, rather than in the middle, so perhaps it was missed (the signs by the baggage check clearly indicated that club-like items could not be brought on board - guess I got lucky). I would bet that security might be tighter on an international flight, though, so I'd look into finding a way to check it.

EO

Obtaining information about it ahead of time may not be good enough as the final and ultimate authority will be the person who performs the inspection.

I was promissed my expensive violin would be allowed on board in the pasenger cabin with me. That was not the same case in the airport, as the security inspector determined that I could potentially strangle someone with the thin violing string (wire).

Where is this world heading to? Men usually cary around potential weapons for sexual assault, so... by analogy... they should not be allowed around women (ha!)

The TSA materials I just looked at on permitted/prohibited carry-on items really didn't list tripods or monopods as either allowed or prohibited. Ski poles were specifically mentioned as not allowed as carry-on, walking canes are allowed after inspection. Keeping in mind that the inspecting personnel can accept or reject items with some discretion, I'd certainly see about finding a way to check it. I have a similar walking stick but it's steel tip is a point, the tip on that Gitzo doesn't appear to be as sharp. I wouldn't even consider trying to carry mine on. There are some telescoping fishing pole transportation cases that might serve admirably, ranging from inexpensive to a bit pricey.

My monopod has a (rather blunt) "spike" at the bottom which obviously makes it a weapon and was not allowed in the cabin and neither was my tripod as I could obviously club somebody. On the other hand, my keys are perfectly safe as carry-on until I guess somebody sticks one in somebody's eye or stabs them in the neck.

And we'd better pray that noone sticks a finger into somebody's eye or we'll have to chop our hands off and put them in the baggage compartment.

I suppose we could all fly naked? Uh, nah, I think I'll pass on that. I can sympathize with Frank and his violin. I doubt his violin strings were substantially more or less dangerous than belts and shoelaces (or any number of easily improvised weapons).

I recall spending some time between flights during the frantic period that little commuter planes arrive, disgorge a bunch of short hoppers, pick up a new batch and fly off again. Except that a classic string quartet was trying to board and the bass viol (or whatever the big, big stringed instrument is) just wasn't going to fit. They unloaded and reloaded the luggage compartment several times trying to fit it in, tried moving people around the passenger compartment, shuffled people again, shuffled luggage again and eventually ended up with it inside with the pax. I'd expect it was a lot more entertaining for those of us watching from the windows than it was for the crew and the musicians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've traveled all over the US carrying a monopod and/or a tripod on board as cabin

baggage without problems. Checked with TSA and their e-mail response was that those

are not prohibited items. Have asked several TSA inspectors at the airport how they see

monopods and tripods and they say that if the person is obviously a photographer (i.e.,

carrying other camera equipment) that goes into their decision. Have also been to Europe

three times with monopod/tripod with no problems boarding at Athens, Paris (CDG) and

Amsterdam. Security at Paris did deny a trekking pole, (I took it on as cabin baggage at

Atlanta and was changing terminals in Paris) but it had a relatively sharp tip and I had to

take it back to the Air France counter and check it. Also have taken aboard a computer

cable lock which has a fairly narrow wire (not unlike the violin string someone described

above) and the inspector said it was OK becuase I was carrying a laptop and other

computer equipment. What seems to be consistent is TSA's inconsistency.