Monkey selfie copyright.

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Nick D., Jan 25, 2018.

1. Nick I think this case has now been settled with the parties satisfied, and to some extent common sense has prevailed (the story dates from last July). I can't quote chapter and verse, however.

2. The whole story is like theatre of absurd, PETA suing photographer on behalf of monkey's copyrights.

3. As I understand it, the result of the case is a settlement in which the photographer owns the copyright and a percentage of the proceeds garnered by the photo will go to charities which help protect crested macaques in Indonesia. Seems like a rational agreement. So, in this case the lawsuit actually led to a good outcome. I'm not sure the deal's completely gone through and may still have to looked at by a court. Didn't spend a whole lot of time researching thoroughly, but this is what a bit of research found. Speaking for myself, if someone else or some animal pushed the shutter even on a shot I directed and set up, I'd gladly share the limelight and some of the proceeds with the other person or animal. I would not claim the photo as wholly my own. While I'm hardly a PETA fanatic, I have no problem with somewhat better treatment of animals accomplished rationally. If an animal is helpful in the creation of a money-making photo project and the animal can derive some benefit from having done so, that's a good thing, IMO.

4. paul ron

paul ron NYC

lesson learned?.... let the dam monkey get his own camera!

oh, if any tourists want you to take their pictures... get a release and usage contract signed!

5. Agree! I thought this was a joke when I first read about it.