Monkey selfie copyright.

Nick D.

As I understand it, the result of the case is a settlement in which the photographer owns the copyright and a percentage of the proceeds garnered by the photo will go to charities which help protect crested macaques in Indonesia. Seems like a rational agreement. So, in this case the lawsuit actually led to a good outcome. I'm not sure the deal's completely gone through and may still have to looked at by a court. Didn't spend a whole lot of time researching thoroughly, but this is what a bit of research found. Speaking for myself, if someone else or some animal pushed the shutter even on a shot I directed and set up, I'd gladly share the limelight and some of the proceeds with the other person or animal. I would not claim the photo as wholly my own. While I'm hardly a PETA fanatic, I have no problem with somewhat better treatment of animals accomplished rationally. If an animal is helpful in the creation of a money-making photo project and the animal can derive some benefit from having done so, that's a good thing, IMO.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

• 2 weeks later...