Monitor set to aRGB or sRGB?

I have a Dell ultrasharp monitor which I can set the preset as standard, sRGB or Adobe RGB. Which one should I use?

If I was only printing then obviously I'll set Adobe RGB. Like most people I print a few at home but most of it is shared online. While Adobe RGB allows more gamut and less clipping it might not be what others see. When I export using lightroom it is set to jpeg sRGB but the editing what I see on my screen the Dell screen is set to Adobe RGB.

Thanks.

You cannot control what others see.:

sRGB urban legend & myths Part 2 In this 17 minute video, I'll discuss some more sRGB misinformation and cover:

When to use sRGB and what to expect on the web and mobile devices

How sRGB doesn't insure a visual match without color management, how to check The downsides of an all sRGB workflow sRGB's color gamut vs. "professional" output devices

The future of sRGB and wide gamut display technology

Photo print labs that demand sRGB for output High resolution:

http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4 Low resolution on YouTube:

Why purchase a wide gamut display and not use the wider color gamut?

• Like 3

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Excellent presentation, @digitaldog! I found it engaging, clear, concise and easy to digest. I learned a great deal from it. I have a much better understanding of color space, color management and why the same web photos look different to different people. I regularly send in sRGB photos for publication in local newspaper. I'll check whether this is a requirement or my assumption.

I found your website and I'll recommend it (personally and via social media) to other photographers where I can.

Thanks for this link,

Mike

You cannot control what others see.:

sRGB urban legend & myths Part 2 In this 17 minute video, I'll discuss some more sRGB misinformation and cover:

When to use sRGB and what to expect on the web and mobile devices

How sRGB doesn't insure a visual match without color management, how to check The downsides of an all sRGB workflow sRGB's color gamut vs. "professional" output devices

The future of sRGB and wide gamut display technology

Photo print labs that demand sRGB for output High resolution:

http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4 Low resolution on YouTube:

Why purchase a wide gamut display and not use the wider color gamut?

Another thing to consider: you have a display capable of the color gamut of Adobe RGB (1998) or sRGB but that alone doesn't mean you're getting either since both involve many other factors. For example, sRGB specifications is a backlight intensity of a mere 80cd/m2. If you calibrate to anything but that, or alter the white point etc, it's NOT sRGB.

Then there's the fun facts about sRGB (which one?):

sRGB profile comparison

The actual one:

http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGB%20specs.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Another thing to consider: you have a display capable of the color gamut of Adobe RGB (1998) or sRGB but that alone doesn't mean you're getting either since both involve many other factors. For example, sRGB specifications is a backlight intensity of a mere 80cd/m2. If you calibrate to anything but that, or alter the white point etc, it's NOT sRGB.

Then there's the fun facts about sRGB (which one?):

sRGB profile comparison

The actual one:

http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGB specs.jpg

Andrew, I have my NEC PA242W using Spectraview II set for sRGB and the CD is noted as maximum intensity. Underneath there's an unchecked boxed that is labelled in gray Specific level 140 cd/m2. What do I assume the calibration is set for at maximum intensity? Other than the brightness of the screen, what effects occur relative to calibration at maximum vs. sRGB standard 80cd/M2? Gamma is 2.2 and temperature is 6506K

So the bottomline is that, working with a monitor set to sRGB isn't a gauranteed what everyone else sees on their screen since everybody does not use color management. So basically use Adobe RGB on my screen which is the best setting on my screen and upload a JPEG sRGB for others to see it and they will more or less see an OK image.

So the bottomline is that, working with a monitor set to sRGB isn't a gauranteed what everyone else sees on their screen since everybody does not use color management.

Same with Adobe RGB (1998). But at least you'll see a difference in colors that fall outside of sRGB color gamut.