Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Sept. 28, 2015

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. <strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Try to minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature. </em></strong><br /> <br /> <strong><em>Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">For more details on guidelines please read this helpful information. </a></em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Monday Morning Greetings,<br /> No matter how much we learn about a subject in nature, the unknown shows up. There's a lot out that's not in field guides. Something may be common in one location, but not on your side of the mountain, or state, or country, so you don't see it. You don't know anyone who has seen it, so that unknown thing never comes up in conversation. You don't even know that you're happy in a state of ignorant bliss. Then, one day, some how, you cross paths with the unknown. And, oddly, being ignorant and unknowing doesn't seem to matter. That stuff is really cool, and the world seems to stop turning while you greet the stranger and hope it sits still long enough for a photo or two.</p>

<p><em> Phlebia coccineofulva</em> was unknown to me until we met on a walk in the woods with a group of mycologists. We marveled at the intense colors and fragile texture. In this 1:1 image it looks like a gassy nebula, but it's really paper thin. Pretty cool stuff.</p>

<p>Let's see what you've seen in nature, whether unknown or well understood. You just might meet something new for Monday in Nature.</p><div>00dVn4-558629684.JPG.e66d9e29a2575bc89a27776633f95287.JPG</div>

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I've just returned from a few weeks on Canada's PEI. This shot was taken with a new P&S from aboard the ferry coming back to Nova Scotia. The sandy spit was dotted with hundreds of migratory birds assembling for the long flight to their winter homes.<br>

This camera is a Fuji XP85 purchased for its ability to take a beating, to perform under water and also because it was sold with a floating strap. It replaces a very capable Canon Elph that was not sold with a floating strap... that now resides at the bottom of the Saugeen River (the river claimed two cameras from two upturned canoes on that trip alone). So far I am more of a fan of the smaller Canon although both have their strengths and weaknesses. Shooting either from this particular ferry on this particular day required some experience. The wind made for a very unstable platform and bracing against the railings or bulkheads induced a tuning fork-like experience into the mix.</p>

<div>00dVo8-558633984.jpg.278b8779d88fd3173ec49aa9a65d21bc.jpg</div>

<p>Shun, a nice demo of your new lens! <br>

M. Mehtar, what beautiful webbed pearls! <br>

Rick Bortnick, is that microscopy? <br>

And the mushrooms look so delicious, especially when I haven't had lunch yet.</p>

<p>Anyhow, while you guys are doing all these cool things, I ran into Big Foot in the forest - and I am lucky to be alive! ;-)</p><div>00dVp7-558635784.jpg.e884b12098b1c47a4dbb999b9bd6ff1d.jpg</div>