Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Feb. 10, 2014

Discussion in 'Nature' started by lgw, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Basic Guidelines: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Do you have a series of great shots to compliment your post? Please, tell us where they are so we can see them.
    In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Try to minimize man made features, keep the focus on nature, and let common sense be your guide. Let's make this a true Photo of the Week and only post 1 image per week.
    Good Monday Morning,
    There's this little gathering happening over in Russia......The Winter Olympics. For the most part it's got nothing to do with nature, though many events take place outdoors and athletes certainly have to deal with the elements. Russia is a big place full of nature that is inhabited by creatures both real, and mythological.
    Leshii (numerous spellings) are woodland spirits of Slavic mythology, protectors of the forest and animals. They appear in many forms from pleasant peasant, an animal, contorted Green Man figure, and even as a large talking mushroom! What's not to love? They can be small or as tall as trees. Leshii have an affinity for wolves and Amanitas, and they appreciate offerings of foods like kashka, blinis, and cookies. They can be tricksters but they don't like folk coming into the forest doing harm. They will lead an antagonist around the forest in endless circles. On the humorous side, they can be warded off by placing shoes on the wrong feet and turning clothing inside out. They come in a demon flavor, with horrible cries and a willingness to tickle a wayward wanderer to death.....oh my. Fortunately for lovers of the forest, Leshii can befriend humans. Perhaps they like cameras and nature photographers, no matter what feet our shoes are on.
    This Monday is full of skiing, skating, curling, and whatever good time you have with your camera in nature. It's been harsh out there for a lot of folks, so do take care.
    00cNFr-545430784.jpg

2. That's a lovely intriguing shot, Laura - almost abstract. I look at it from various angles and with half closed eyes and I see different things each time! (Is that a leshii behind the tree to the left, or just a big brown bear? :))
    Back in the warm again: in New Zealand, many of the beaches are made of fine black sand, eroded from the volcanic terrain. It's quite a different look to the more usual white or golden sands.
    00cNFu-545430884.jpg

3. I visited the Sylvan Heights Bird Park located in Scotland Neck, NC this past weekend. If you love ducks/birds of all types, do yourself a favor and go. They do have a website which you can easily find in a web search. Scotland Neck is in Eastern North Carolina and there's not much around in the way of urbanization. The only spirits here are the ones shared by nature lovers everywhere.
    This is *I believe* a South Georgian Pintail, native of South Atlantic islands. There are so many varieties of ducks at Sylvan, I'm not positive of the identification. Nonetheless, it was a very willing participant for a portrait.
    00cNG0-545431284.jpg

4. Our lakes are finally frozen over solidly enough to explore areas that are only accessible by boat for the rest of the year. While half the town (so it seemed) was ice fishing, I explored the frozen swamps.
    00cNG4-545431384.jpg

5. Winter ... snow, Olympics ... gold, Monday ... MiN. Put the two together and ...
    00cNG6-545431684.jpg

6. I am so tired of the cold and snow. So I'm dreaming of crab apples and blue sky.
    00cNGD-545431884.jpg

7. American White Pelican in flight (North Texas area)
    00cNGL-545432384.jpg

8. A couple of pine cones leaning against a maple caught my eye...
    00cNGM-545432484.jpg

9. Mark Kissel, very nice duck! Just curious, is the lens the new Tamron 150-600?
    Thanks!
    Dick

10. Mark, I'm wondering the same thing...new lens?
    Geoff, that beach really feels warm this morning. One never knows what is lurking in these woods. ;-)

11. Laura, I like your image very much, especially the vine(?) climbing the one trunk. I can see this as a mural.
    Dick

12. Hi folks, yes, the lens is the new Tamron 150-600. I purchased this lens a week ago and this was the first opportunity I've had to really try it out. The photo was taken at 600mm on a most dreary day. The lighting was really, really poor. This was shot at ISO 1250 and wide open at f/6.3 (f/5-6.3 over the zoom range) giving a shutter speed of 1/640th sec. Post work in LR5.
    I think the lens performs very well on static subjects (my normal fare), but I've heard some mixed reviews from the BIF crowd. At 600mm, the excellent VC really helps with handholding, but you'll need to put on your best technique hat to get the most from this lens.

13. John P, I agree fully....let the warm begin!
    00cNHA-545433984.jpg

14. kts

kts

79% of the Great Lakes are frozen over as of yesterday and snow covers something like 25% of the country....so i'm guessing these guy's have had about enough of this snow and cold as well
    00cNHE-545434084.jpg

15. More leshii environment

16. Here's the image -

17. Having some self-induced technical issues this morning
    00cNHJ-545435584.jpg

18. Got this from my backyard yesterday. Had to shoot handheld and full zoom.
    [​IMG]

19. Pre-dawn Sentry
    [​IMG]

20. stemked

stemked Moderator

A blast from the past (aka I haven't been out much).
    This is a photo of two cowries (Humpbacked Cowrie, Cypraea mauritana and Reticulated Cowrie, Cypraea maculifera) in a tidal pool on the Big Island of Hawaii. In order to get the shoot I used an off camera flash and a polarizer on my lens. It was the middle of the night so I was juggling with a flashlight in my other hand.
    [​IMG]
    Pentax K10D, Pentax F 50mm f2.8 macro

21. Wow David. Beautiful colors here. (Bird is nice touch too) AJ

22. Greetings from the depths of northern Ontario.
    Here is some shale at the Gaspe peninsula in Sept.
    00cNHu-545435984.jpg

23. I finally had some time and cooperative, but cold, weather to get some outdoor pictures. I liked the way these vines had braided themselves together.
    [​IMG]
    Canon XSi, Tamron 70-300 vc, f/5.6, 1/500s, iso 800

24. Hi all,
    I haven't been able to be out much lately, but finally got out this weekend. Here is one of nature's least appreciated beauties, probably because of their unfortunate name - the Liverworts. Really, who wants to embrace something called a liverwort? Oh well. This is with my 60mm macro and an LED ringlight.
    00cNJC-545437784.jpg

25. Hello everyone ! Laura that is a fantastic shot. Love the tree just viewers right of center with the dark looking vine .
    I know some are still in the grips of winter. Hope you stay warm. Here is a bit of yellow sunshine color for you.
    00cNJs-545439284.jpg

26. Spent the weekend at Lake Hodges where the western & clark's grebes are courting, squeaking and snoozing aplenty. None of that close enough to my lens though - until 1pm on Sunday when these two finally obliged with a single stately sweep past my spot on the shore.
    00cNK5-545439384.jpg

27. Last week the wood sprites we're pretty dry. Fortunately their rain dance worked last weekend. Here's one from just before the rains came to the California Redwoods.
    00cNK6-545439484.jpg

28. Saguaro standing guard.
    00cNKT-545440084.jpg

29. Roberta....impressive yellow:)
    I like the D800, 500 f4 combination.
    Dick

30. California finally got some much needed rain and snow and we still need a great deal more. Today was a day off, the rain has stopped and my cold is on the way out so I headed down to check out the Merced National Wildlife refuge this morning. There is very little water there this year so not many ducks or shore birds. But there were thousands of snow geese. I'm not sure this photo can do justice to the number there were and of course does not convey the deafening noise they were making.
    00cNL7-545441584.jpg

31. Went out during one of the long-awaited, but brief, downpours to capture this glistening manzanita.
    00cNLL-545441784.jpg

32. No fear of heights for this racoon on Longboat Quay.
    00cNM5-545443084.JPG

33. Sunset behind our backyard willow tree a few nights ago. The tree is usually covered in snow, but the temperature warmed to 40 F and the snow on the tree melted (but not the snow on the driveway).
    00cNM7-545443184.jpg

34. Great image Laura, really evokes a strong feeling of being there. From what I see here every week, perhaps there's a bit of positive Leshii in us all?
    My shot this week was taken at a small botanical garden. One of the first things we saw were signposts about the population of flying foxes (or fruit bats) in the garden. Anyone who has mango or paw paw trees in their yard knows when the flying foxes are out, at night you hear their squawks and cries, and in the morning you see where they've been.
    This garden was more like a small rainforest, so after walking around and trying different vantage points, I finally got a decent shot. There were probably a thousand of them hanging off the branches of the very tall trees, flapping their wings every few minutes to stay cool. The summer light was quite contrasty, so it was a bit of a challenge to find a balance where I could get some detail in the shadows too. Got quite a crick in my neck, but the ability to see them close up with my zoom lens was worth it.
    00cNMR-545443584.jpg

35. Laura, a truly mesmerizing photograph! Here's an example of my own feeble attempts to capture the spirit of trees.
    00cNMy-545444884.jpg

36. I getting back in from working all day. I don't view the internet at work, so I always look forward to seeing the postings.......wow.
    Thanks to all who commented on the forest shot. It's in my Forest folder if you want to see it larger. You know, that is poison ivy growing up that tree, but from a distance......
    Rodger, we often have pet Liverworts in the houseplants. They are beautiful in their rich greens and textures. And you're right, they are under-appreciated.
    Roberta, that is quite a splash of warmth. What a beauty.
    Anthea, what an amazing encounter! Your poor neck was rewarded. I agree with you, a little mischievius Leshii in all of us.
    Bing, I'd forgotten just how red Manzanita bark is.
    Daniel, I love that sound. We had thousands of snow geese in our immediate area last winter, but none this year.
    All the beautiful colors are nice to see. We usually do not have this much snow on the ground for this long. There's not much color around right now. Really looking toward spring.

37. AJ, thanks.

38. We've had 2 inches of snow and it melted before I had a chance to take one shot. Well, not complaining, since I'm well aware what's going on in the Midwest. This image has this sort of optimism written all over it....towards better weather.
    00cNOf-545447784.JPG

39. Shot before the weekend storm here in California. A northern pintail (Anas acuta) grooms himself after a morning swim. Captured at the Cosumnes River Preserve.
    00cNQr-545455884.jpg

40. Laura - Just curious about your lovely image: Is that a wild forest or planted one?

41. bing, honestly, I'm not sure. It is in the Thompson-Neely House section of Washington's Crossing Park and is situated between the Delaware River and canal. It is maintained to a degree and the absence of understory gives it a planted look. Not far up or down river that understory is present. The area became a park in the 1930's-40's from what I've read. The trees in this area could easily date from that time.

42. Great sets, thank you for sharing.

43. Gup

Gup Gup

Hi all. I'm just back from a pre-Valentine's Day surprise for my Queen.
    Here is a glimpse of Niagara Fall's majesty at dawn in February as seen from our hotel window. The view was hypnotic for three days, changing every few minutes as the temperature and wind currents varied. Sometimes in the evening when the air was still the vapour plume rose many hundreds of feet straight up in the frigid cold. In the morning before the sun warmed the air the river was totally engulfed in mist and the vista was like being above the clouds in a plane.
    00cNkD-545506184.jpg

44. Gup, that's really sweet.....and a cool picture too.

45. Gup

Gup Gup

Thank you, Laura.
    After 28 years together this was still only the second time we have treated ourselves to any luxury without our kids. Our girls are now 25 and 23 but still one or both usually find a way to crash our party. This time I kept the secret ;)
    Happy Valentine's Day to you, too, and everyone here at the nature forum.