Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Dec 8, 2014

Discussion in 'Nature' started by lgw, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Basic Guidelines: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version.
    In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large manmade structures like roads. A bird on the fence post or bug on your finger is fine. Try to minimize man made features, keep the focus on nature, and let common sense be your guide. Let's image per week. More details please check here.

Monday Morning Greetings,
    More reach, need more reach. Gotta get closer. Need an invisibility net or a personal cloaking device so they won't see. Click, oh, right, they can hear that. Why are they always on the other side of the lake, no matter what lake or time of day. Then, there is the magic of the perfectly comfortable rock at streamside and a small group of feathered friends willing to tolerate a quiet photographer. It's bucolic until someone comes crashing through the area with other intentions. They're nice enough and wonder if you're catching anything because this is a great fishing spot. They have a cooler, you have a camera, and the feathered friends are gone. Other days are spent in the cold, waiting, and waiting.
    Then there are times when the minimal gear gets the job done because a Cat Bird is curious about the black box. You sit in the car among rolling countryside, wondering where they are, and you hear them from a mile away. Thousands of snowies land in the field right there. Those moments take on incredible variation for bird photographers everywhere. It's easy to get a case of lens envy and each year brings another opportunity to improve. It's also easy to admire the skills of those photographers who know their subjects and locations and have honed their craft. Tip a lens cap to all the bird photographers who make it look so easy.
    Even though the cold is here, so are many birds that will winter over in the area. Hooded Mergansers are always a challenge as they speed by. Anything whizzin' by your camera? Let's get Monday in Nature under way.
    00czsL-553067784.jpg

2. Snuck up on this little one. Never heard me coming.

3. The only thing whizzing by my camera this weekend was stuff not suited for this forum. I spent an afternoon exploring the right-of -way along a major road. A few young beeches that glowed golden in the afternoon sun a few days ago got me there. The beeches never worked out, but I discovered "Fearful Swamp" complete with nature trail, a beautiful hand-drawn map, plenty of cat tails, dead trees and a bunch of birds that were way too skittish to make for a good image with a 100 mm lens.
    Time to change the newspaper in my right boot once more - it was a swamp after all. Have a good week!
    00czsQ-553068184.jpg

4. Hummm ... Now the image
    00czsR-553068284.jpg

5. kts

kts

crop is my middle name, or is that crap.....anyway's, this red tail hawk whizzed by in front of me and then parked in this tree about 75 yds away....got off about 6 frames and as soon as i took one step forward it was gone
    00czsX-553069584.jpg

6. Geoglossum fallax (?), with apologies to those who think macros should be sharp and have lots of dof - and apologies to those who can actually identify fungi.
    00czse-553069684.jpg

7. Laura,
    Very nice shot. Gorgeous birds. Yes, there never seems to be enough reach, especially for those of us with amateur budgets. But the crop is definitely your friend, and I'm generally happy as long as the shot is clear enough to identify the bird. Here are some Northern Shovelers, taken with the Sigma 150-500 @500, as usual - and cropped.
    00czsm-553069784.jpg

8. John, no apology necessary. Your choice really brings out the texture. All the "glossums", geo, micro, tricho, can be difficult to photograph and pose ID challenges. Their unique forms draws one in and offers visual treats to anyone with a hand lens, or a macro lens.

9. By the way Laura, where was that shot? Might want to pay a visit and see those birds in person if it was in Eastern PA somewhere.

10. I stood on my patio for this shot and was able to reach him with a 300mm lens.
    00czsp-553069884.jpg

11. A glass-winged butterfly (Greta oto) at a butterfly conservatory.
    [​IMG]

12. Bill, that was taken yesterday at Green Lane Park, in the Deep Creek area. There's a nice mix of birds and many locations around the park have easy access. The park is at the northern end of Montgomery CO. It's a bit of a drive for you, probably 2 hours. Bring your best slogging boots as water levels are high. If you want more details, contact me directly.

13. Thanks Laura. Looks like an easy drive and nice area to hike. Will probably try to visit the week after Christmas since I'll be home from work and looking for things to do, and wanting to test out the new travel tripod I think Santa is bringing!

14. It is a pleasure to start the morning with Nature, the images here are always inspiring . This one is from a storm last year around a harbor that I am continually drawn to.
    00cztC-553073884.jpg

15. Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy
    [​IMG]
    White-tail yearling leaps for joy against a pink and blue, baby-shower sky.

16. stemked

stemked Moderator

Nice Mergansers Laura!
    I'm sorry to say I am rarely a minimalist, I do only use one lens at a time though! ;)
    More from New Zealand this is from one of the most beautiful spots on the planet, Haast Pass on the South Island of New Zealand. Yes, you have to dodge an occasional 'slip' (mud slide) and it rains pretty constantly. But the payoff are spectacular waterfalls, this one right along the road.
    [​IMG]
    Haast Pass Waterfall. Pentax K3, 15mm f4.

17. Back in Nov. on a little farm pond(now covered with ice), I found these mallards sitting and preening about 100 yrds. across an open field so settled for cropping and more of a "reflections shot" than of "birds" in post.
    00cztI-553073984.JPG

18. From a recent trip to Saquaro National Park near Tucson.
    00cztM-553074084.JPG

19. I tried out the extra reach the 7D2 gives now that I can AF at f/8. As always, the action takes place on the other side of the lake, but now I can nail them...if I'm quick enough. 7D2 + EF 500mm f/4L IS II + EF 2x; 1/1250s at f/8 ISO 800, tripod.
    00cztQ-553074184.jpg

20. Not exactly Flying By but maybe just resting. A Bobolink watching the rest of the world Flying By.
    00cztR-553074284.jpg

21. Jon Eckman - that shot is gorgeous

22. Very nice!
    Here's my contribution.
    00cztm-553075584.jpg

23. Last week I found this songbird nest blown from a tree. The interior is lined with fur from our Great Pyrenees dogs.
    00cztq-553075784.jpg

24. Thank you John

25. I know what you mean, Laura. I shoot mostly with manual lenses, so catching a critter in-flight is deemed impossible...but I still get some good ones.
    This critter if from wasp family...tho I have no idea what's called.
    Les
    00czuB-553077584.jpg

26. Heron flying into the sunset, Vancouver Island.
    00czuK-553079584.jpg

27. Gup

Gup Gup

I snuck up on this girl while she was hiding. Shot with a 28-70mm.
    00czuT-553079884.jpg

28. Cormorant flying from it's perch (doing a swan dive?) at Hendy's Beach, Santa Barbara, California.
    John: glad to see another fungus among us.
    00czuu-553080384.jpg

29. Interesting stories and images as usual, and although I can certainly identify with reaching, my shot this week is more about speed, i.e. trying to keep up with rapidly moving insects. This tiny little guy wasn't too bad though, and I was intrigued by his appearance. He was found among the leaves of a pea plant, which seemed to be affected by some kind of fungus. More intrigue followed as it seemed he was eating the fungus! Turns out that he is a ladybird larvae, and was indeed feeding on the fungus.
    00czvr-553083584.jpg

30. Anthea,
    Cool shot. Around here peas and many other garden plants develop a grayish coating called powdery mildew. I see it on many "weeds" and wild flowers. Is that what you have there? I've never noticed any bugs eating it, but honestly I've not looked closely. I'll check the peas more closely now. ;-)

31. I was vacationing in Hawaii with my wife a month ago. Photo along the Na'pali Coast of Kauai.
    Double Rainbow
    [​IMG]

32. Hi Laura, while I'm not 100% sure, your powdery mildew sound very similar. Our pea plants were covered in this white powdery stuff and since it affected the plant and the peas were done for this season, we started to pull them out of the garden and that's when we noticed these little guys running around. I'm not surprised you've never noticed any; they are really very tiny. By the way, once we knew what they were, we left the pea plants in a pile so they could chop away to their hearts content!

33. [​IMG]I am late to the forum - all very good images. A few caught my eye: Jon, Rick, Glenn, Glenn and Alan.
    Mine is some ice formation in Laprairie Quebec.
    D300 sigma 10-20mm F10 1/160s
    00czyC-553089784.jpg

34. Anthea, Laura - pathogenic fungi can indeed be preferred food for insects. A striking example is the (British) bluebell, which gets bluebell rust - diamond-shaped areas of infection. These are selectively grazed by slugs, leaving diamond-shaped holes in the leaf. I must get out more...

35. Here's another duck for this weeks MiN collection. This is a male mandarin duck, now a fairly normal sight here in the UK, but imported originally from Asia for captive collections. They are now feral and add a touch of the exotic to UK ponds.
    Jon, beautiful snow effect!
    00czz6-553096184.jpg

36. Another shot from my trip to Argentina last month: A brown caracara (aka chimango) flying straight towards me to express its dissatisfaction at my approach. Sometimes the best way to get close to birds is to annoy them unintentionally!
    00d02N-553108084.jpg

37. Alan Klein, welcome to MiN. Thanks for sharing a beautiful image of a spectacular location.
    John Farrar, I've seem an unidentified grub munching on Claytonia Rust. Given these complex life cycles I wouldn't be surprised if the munchers are as specific to rusts as rusts are to their hosts.
    Leszek, it's difficult to imagine using manual focus for birds in flight. I've used MF with one lens/TC combo as I didn't have AF at f8. Results were mixed on distant subjects like birds in nests. The capabilities of the new 7D mk2 with TC's makes it an attractive upgrade.
    Rick DuB., what a beautiful shot. Your comments about the MK2 and the TC are resonating here. I'm looking at that camera very carefully.
    Jon, what a beautiful result from your outing in snow.
    Douglas, thanks, I've been enjoying all your images from your trip.

38. Sorry Laura, don’t have any bird’s shots in my collection. Well, anyhow, it’s already December. And this shot of first fragile ice on Lake George reminds that the winter is approaching and it already gave as a couple good shots of its cold breath. In three weeks or so if temperature is going to stay that low as it is now, this massive body of water will be solid frozen. I hope to have some wonderful photo opportunities this winter also.
    Really enjoyed pictures of the exotic ducks here. Haven’t seen such birds in my life yet. Great show!
    00d04E-553112684.jpg