Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Dec. 23, 2013

Discussion in 'Nature' started by lgw, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Basic Guidelines: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Do you have a series of great shots to compliment your post? Please, tell us where they are so we can see them.
    In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Try to minimize man made elements and let common sense be your guide.
    Let's make this a true Photo of the Week and only post 1 image per week.
    Good Morning,
    There have been many observances over the past few weeks and they will continue. Wherever you are in the world I hope your celebrations, whatever they may be, are happy. Hopefully your travels will go smoothly if you're on the road this week. Spending time in nature brings good cheer that we can share. It's always nice to see folks here who haven't posted for awhile as well as first time posters. We're here to have a good time and some photographic merriment.
    My opener reflects a pleasant time with some Gadwalls. There was a lot of ice on all the local lakes. I'm always impressed at how fast ducks get airborne. One foot off the ice and a half a wing beat and this one was off. Winter is a time for me to work on bird photography skills and the gabby little Gadwalls are always a lot of fun. Do you shoot differently in this season?
    It will probably be a busy week for many, but hopefully this is a good place to start. Merry Monday in Nature.
    00cFvC-544383384.JPG

2. The 7D with the 400mm f/5.6 is a really good birding combo, Laura.
    00cFvG-544383484.jpg

3. Checking back in my archives I found this nice 10 point buck in velvet and in silhouette.
    00cFvV-544383784.jpg

4. I finally got out after the second snow of the week. Liked the red of the Hobble bush (Viburnum lantanoides) berries against the white. After yesterday, wouls not be able to get that color background.
    00cFvY-544383984.jpg

5. This week I discovered an eagle's nest near Llano, Texas. It is on private property and 100-yards from the highway. Lots of photographers were out there.
    00cFvd-544384384.jpg

6. stemked

stemked Moderator

I can't say this is a great image, looking the wrong way, direct sunlight, but I did finally get a mink shot after years of just blurry images on those rare occasions I've seen one.
    [​IMG]
    Mink, Mount Comfort, Indiana. Pentax 600mm f5.6 A
    Happy Holidays!
    Doug

7. Season's greetings to all in the now revered institution of the Monday in Nature thread! Here is some winter sun through woodland mist.
    00cFvi-544384584.jpg

8. Greetings from the depths of northern Ontario
    The wind, it did blow,
    as I walked through the snow.
    Glaring at me below,
    from a tree, was a crow.
    The tree was a crab,
    it was really quite drab,
    it’s appearance was heightened
    by bright patches of lichen.
    Showed this pic to my wife
    who said: “Get a life!
    You’re too easily inspired
    now that you’ve retired”.
    Laura, if I’ve crossed any lines
    please forgive me this time.
    If I must have a reason
    ‘tis the Cheer of the Season (hic).
    “Happy Holidays” I think
    comes from Hattie and Bink.
    “May the Season be Merry”
    comes from me and my boy Harry ;-}
    00cFvo-544384884.jpg

9. Fun with water!
    00cFwJ-544386384.jpg

10. Still stuck indoors so another dive photo.
    00cFwU-544386784.jpg

11. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Green-Winged Teal, Redwood Shores, California
    Nikon D7100 with 600mm lens @ f5.6, 1/1000 sec, ISO 320
    00cFwX-544386884.jpg

12. From the archives.
    [​IMG]

13. kts

kts

came up empty looking for snow owls last week but there were plenty of these
    00cFww-544387984.jpg

14. One from my archives too, this one is from a New Year's Day hike a few years ago
    00cFwz-544388184.JPG

15. Greetings. This week, it's Pacific mistletoe, Phoradendron villosum, on an almost-bare oak. It was seen on a winter solstice walk in the Rockville Trails Open Space in Solano County. Happy Holidays to all. Thanks to Laura for a year of great threads with wonderful images.
    00cFxH-544388884.jpg

16. Wonderful photos. Getting a mink is tough. Here on Marco Island Florida the temp was 85 degrees yesterday and I took this photo of a very cooperative Reddish Egret.
    00cFxh-544389484.jpg

17. Gup

Gup Gup

I'm reaching back again as I'm still not able to get out with the new camera.
    This one was taken in August with a Canon 310HS P&S while canoeing in Killarney Provincial Park. Elwood spent the week in search of chipmunks and squirrels while they spent the week thieving and avoiding Elwood. I'm always awed at the battle scars exhibited by many animals in the wild. Their's is a violent existence. Thanks for excusing the dreaded 'hand of man' ;)
    00cFyA-544389984.jpg

18. Tree in Fog
    Canon 7D
    EF 70-200mm f/4L IS at 116mm
    AV mode, ISO 800, +1EV
    f/8 resulting in 1/800-sec.
    Raw conversion in DxO Optics Pro 9.1 with PRIME noise reduction engaged:
    [​IMG]

19. Bryce Canyon Hoodoo's
    00cFza-544393584.jpg

20. Doug, that's a good Mink shot. They are so hard to get.
    John, you're quite the poet. Really, when we think it's cold here, we wonder about the temps in "the depths of northern Ontario". We feel warmer immediately.
    It's a good thing we all have archives. What would we do without them?
    Gup, I can't wait to see what you bring home with the new camera. You know, that's downright festive. ;)
    Thom, spotty Snowy Owl sightings here, but 2 days and nights of record warmth will make them easier to see. Jeez, that looks like a raw day.
    I like Wes's Magpie.
    Mark, you're right about the 7D 400mm f5.6 combo. I like it a lot. That lens is also very nice on the XSi. Last winter I got some good results with the Snow Geese. I'm hoping that the problems I encountered last year have been sorted out and that camera (7D), lens, and I will form a better triad this year. I've had a good while to review shots from last winter and see what I did right and mistakes to stop. I always look at the bird photography here with a keen eye.

21. Winter is the best time for landscape shooting around here, especially days just before or after rain.
    00cG12-544395584.jpg

22. Late afternoon light on some weeds in my front yard...
    00cG1a-544396384.jpg

23. Local woods.
    00cG1y-544396684.jpg

24. Had to drag something out of archives....no decent camera at this time.
    00cG3i-544402084.JPG

25. stemked

stemked Moderator

Thom,
    Apparently we are having an invasion year for Snowy Owls. There are at least 4 in Indiana this year. I haven't gotten a
    chance to go out and see them yet, but I do see regular posts in IN-Bird. If you are not having any luck in Ohio, maybe
    you might have a little better luck here.

26. Doug, Thom, one of the biologists at Hawk Mountain conducts research on Snowy Owls. He recently said that they are still moving through and may not settle down for another couple of weeks. I don't know if that is the case in your locations. We're having sightings for a couple of days in places, then they're gone. However, yesterday I heard about one nearby that has possibly been in place for 3 weeks. This is almost impossible to verify due to the location, and is contrary to other activity. But, nature being nature, it's also quite possible. All of our snow is gone and the sun is out. Snowy Owl road trip anyone?

27. kts

kts

Doug, Laura......we've had them here along the lake the last two weeks but they don't stay in one place for very long.....just a matter of luck to be where they are....there haven't been any sightings since the big thaw over the weekend so they might be gone for the season here

28. kts

kts

i stand corrected....just checked E-Bird and there are still a few in our area and more than a few at Presque Isle in Erie, Pa. which is only 90 minutes away so i'm loading up the gear for a little road trip.......:)

29. Ice fog descends on Idaho Falls, Idaho. It's beautiful, but not the powder skiing white Christmas that I am dreaming of.
    00cG6f-544413584.jpg

30. Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to all
    00cGBF-544421284.jpg

31. Wish I'd had my better quality camera & lens with me but my little point & shoot at least catches the moment.
    Thought I’d share it as such Turkey sightings up close in the wild are fairly rare.
    While out deer hunting yesterday, this lone ‘Tom’ came scratching along and the bright sunlight really lit up the iridescent colors.
    Size and thickness of that beard makes me guess he might be a 4-5 year old, 23-25lb bird.
    [​IMG]