Monday in Nature, September 4, 2017

Discussion in 'Nature' started by sallymack, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A mundane photo of a red wettish spot in the dirt at Cullinan Ranch wetlands. PN-Archaea-4656.jpg It proves that the Archaea, the 3+ billion year-old life form, a microbe that is one of the earliest on earth, that had been bulldozed and inundated survived. The microbiologist who initially ID'd the Archaea, and I went out, again, this last week. He confirmed its presence. Archaea lives!

Isn't nature amazing?

2. American White Pelican at White Rock Lake in Dallas. Nature Monday 9-4-2017.jpg

3. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

TONY0008 - 001a.jpg

This was intended to be a bee, but the bee decided to be off, so it was not meant to be.

4. Light transmitted through the 1 cm length of an unidentified Bolete mushroom's spore tubes

2017-07-04 Bolete spore tubes WEB.jpg

5. Xylaria polymorpha with the apt common name of 'Dead Man's Fingers' .

Xylaria-polymorpha-.jpg

6. What a beautiful sight!

Last night was rather gloomy with the occasional light rain and dark clouds. But the moon was round amidst the moving clouds when I walked Sammy my awesome boy (alias=dog). So I gave it a shot - literally.
    FB_Moon.jpg

Olympus EM1 II with 300mm + MC14 @f/5.6 1/320s ISO-250

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  7. Clouds over Iceland. In full color by the way. iceland clouds.jpg

8. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Jellyfish, Monterey Bay, California

_D5A6732.jpg

9. Ruby-throated hummingbird
    _DSC7741.jpg

10. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

DSC_6070_5131DSC_6070.JPG DSC_6075_5132DSC_6075.JPG DSC_6079_5133DSC_6079.JPG DSC_6083_5134DSC_6083.JPG First good light in more than a week -- bugs & Flowers a few minutes ago. D 750 with AF Micor Nikkor 105 D.

11. Reed bed abstract

Bromley Village Lake 08 2011-4.jpg

Tony Parsons likes this.
  12. A turtle from Blackwater WR, on Maryland's Eastern Shore

[​IMG]

13. So beautiful.

sallymack likes this.
  14. Question about the ground rules for these pictures of the day. Are they supposed to have been taken on the day in question? Or are there no limitations on when they were taken?

sallymack likes this.
  15. As far as I know the image can be from anytime as long as the content is "nature" with no hand-of-man. You may submit one image per week. So, pick the better one if you have a bunch of similar shots. :)

sallymack likes this.
  16. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Monday in Nature is a weekly thread; you may post one image captured essentially any time, today, a week ago, six months ago or 10 years ago. I tend to post a new image captured within the last week so that I wouldn't accidentally re-post an image I have used before, but there is no hard limit on that either. I recall that in another forum, a member had posted the same image perhaps 3, 4 times in several weeks. While that is not against the rules, IMO repeating an image is not good.

Otherwise, as Mary points out above, each member is allowed to post no more than one image per week, and it must be "nature": Monday in Nature Guildelines

sallymack and Mary Doo like this.
  17. With regard to guidelines, multiple images within 1 post isn't 1 image. Post one image here. It's always been this way. Multiple images can be posted just about anywhere except NW forum. Keeping to one image pushes us to make editing decisions, which is good.

Shun, thanks for posting the guidelines and sticking it up top. Good idea.

sallymack, Mary Doo and gordonjb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.