Monday in Nature, November 27, 2017

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ShunCheung, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. We post one image per week.

Sandhill crane, in Staten Island, California

SandhillCrane_4064.jpg

2. Tricolored Heron at North Padre Island, Texas. Nature Monday 11-27-2017.jpg

3. Good Morning,
    I dipped into the archives from last May for this glimpse of greenery next to a waterfall. It will look very different a couple of months from now when winter grips the area with an icy cold hand. Have a great day, everyone.

Monday nature1.JPG

4. Gordon, that's a nice trio of fungi.

Mary Doo, sallymack and gordonjb like this.
  5. Nikon_17_32.jpg Autumn in my garden.

6. Short-billed dowitchers feeding, White Slough, Vallejo CA.
    PN-dowitchers-6985.jpg

7. This ovenbird rufous hornero (Furnarius rufus) is not looking pleased as the wind blew it from behind. Both the strong wind and these birds are very common here in Punta Colorada, Uruguay.
    Oven bird-2.jpg

8. Fallen Ginkgo leaves. They usually all fall off during a single day.

Woodlawn Cemetary 11 2013 1.jpg

9. Pensive Meditation - may be thinking about the next meal?

LionPensiveMeditation.jpg

Nikon D300s with Nikon 200-400mm + 1.4x @550mm (effective focal length=850mm).
    1/250s; f/8; ISO 800; aperture priority; Center-weighted metering.

10. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Or waiting for the lionesses to bring it to him ?

11. Bluet Mating Wheel

_DSC6703.jpg

12. Pintail bothered by something. Pintail bothered by something.jpg

13. Superb sharpness and details, interesting shapes and NO distractions. Phenomenal image.

Mary Doo, sallymack and dcstep like this.
  14. And a beautiful shot!

DawsonPointers, Mary Doo and gordonjb like this.
  15. Rod,

Thanks for the kind words.

--- Frank

16. You're welcome, but it's well deserved. It has all the elements I aspire to when I'm capturing a nature image, but rarely accomplish. :) Seems like there is always something out of focus, distracting branch, boring composition or whatever.

Mary Doo likes this.
  17. Yes, challenges and challenges indeed. I try to minimize them by (1) Shoot only when there is good light; (2) Minimize distraction by moving camera position; (3) Zoom in to avoid distractions and to exclude unattractive elements; (4) Exclude anything that does not help to make the subject matter attractive; (5) Compose thoughtfully, applying rule-of-third where applicable, tilting the camera, etc. (6) Select a good specimen; (7) Refrain from shooting if it's a hopeless situation. ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.