Monday in Nature May 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Nature' started by lgw, May 16, 2016.

1. Basic Guidelines: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature.

Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. For more details on guidelines please read this helpful information.
    Good morning,
    I hope you've all had a great week getting out in nature. Color abounds in woodlands with birds in breeding plumage and wild flowers. If you don't have to dodge a tornado, this is an easy time to be out with cameras. We'll dive right in this week. Wild geraniums, columbines, and woodland phlox are in abundance throughout the forest. They are impossible to leave alone and easy to get lost in. Toss in a rain shower and they each become a small work of art.
    All of nature is art when we frame it up and hang it on a wall in a room called Monday in Nature. Have a great day, everyone.
    00dwD9-563020284.JPG

2. Found a hummingbird nest...
    00dwDF-563021684.jpg

3. Out for a walk over the weekend and came across an area where there were dozens of turtles languishing on logs in the water. This was just one of them.
    [​IMG]

4. Painted Trillium from NC Pa.
    00dwDf-563022484.jpg

5. Early Saxifrage
    00dwDo-563023884.jpg

6. Sticking with the floral theme. Saw these while walking around the lake. I don't know what they are, but thought they were pretty.
    00dwE1-563024384.jpg

7. Six turtles enjoying some sun at Matsell Bridge Natural Area, Iowa.
    00dwE6-563024584.jpg

8. The back yard is full of wrens. What they lack in size and plumage they make up in song and then some. Fast and hard to catch even when they're all around you.
    00dwEB-563024884.jpg

9. New Mountain Laurel growth
    00dwEH-563024984.JPG

10. Bill, Yellow iris (Iris pseudacorus)

11. A pair of blue-grey gnatcatchers(?) mob a red-shouldered hawk.
    00dwEV-563025384.jpg

12. The UC Botanical Garden (Berkeley CA) has several turquoise Puyas that were in bloom a couple of weeks ago.
    00dwEe-563025484.jpg

13. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Forster's terns.
    00dwEj-563025584.jpg

14. Laura, Gordon - lovely pictures.
    Just back from 4 weeks in Scotland, processing has started - with this, Eigg and Rum from Arisaig.

15. Thanks Gordon.

16. Western Grebe calling its partner
    00dwEy-563025784.jpg

17. A white crocus - Crocus albiflorus.
    Hope you'll like it.
    00dwFi-563028284.jpg

18. Black bear. Sequoia National Park.
    00dwGA-563029184.jpg

19. Pnet wouldn't let me post a pic earlier - another (last) attempt
    00dwGj-563029984.jpg

20. John, it was well worth the wait. I love the image!
    This week's image comes from western Iowa: plenty oaks in a very wet meadow.
    00dwGw-563030384.jpg

21. Was going to post last week....with other herons :>). The largest fish I've seen the heron catch....in some other shots it looks down right like a shoe.
    Les
    00dwH5-563031584.jpg

22. Sunrise yesterday morning
    00dwHd-563032484.jpg

23. Spring Green
    00dwHl-563032984.jpg

24. Some Pink Lady Slipper orchids (Cypripedium acaule) from Southwestern PA - they're out about a week or two early this year, like a lot of the flowers.
    00dwHo-563033284.jpg

25. Here is an elephant beauty at Amboseli National Park of Kenya. Elephants are such gentle giants. I am glad IFAW (International Fund for Animal Welfare) is involved in the Amboseli elephant research project, and with anti-poaching patrols and management.
    My heart sinks every time when I hear of elephants and rhinos being poached; or trophy hunting of wild animals - not sure what these executioners are trying to prove.
    00dwIW-563034784.jpg

26. The bearded irises ar blooming
    [​IMG]
    Canon XSi, 50mm 1.8 with 20mm extension tube, off-camera flash

27. [​IMG]Fabulous shots all around. Paul I like the clarity and focus but the motion in the water is quite artistic.
    Mary Doo - nice shot. Many many moons I too was in Amboseli which was a dust bowl but one of the few parks where you can see the snow-capped peaks of Kilimanjaro.
    Spring is slow here in Quebec with temperatures down to 3 Celsius tonight. The blossoms and new growth are beginning to peep out.
    00dwJ9-563035684.jpg

28. stemked

stemked Moderator

Federally Threatened, Indiana State Endangered, Copperbelly Watersnake, Central Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Pentax Kiis, Pentax 100 DAW f2.8

29. You don't want to cross an African elephant. Big game hunters used to say that elephants and hippos are the most dangerous beasts to cross in Africa. Water buffalo comes next. So gentle, perhaps, when left alone, but not at all gentle when riled.

30. Douglas, what a gorgeous snake! What's the story behind the picture? --Sally

31. Big game hunters used to say that elephants and hippos are the most dangerous beasts​
    Robin, "gentle" is a manner of speech. Naturally, no one should go pat a wild animal, or even a strange dog. :) I remember an angry elephant came chasing after our vehicle with a big stick that he broke off from a tree. It was an enjoyable experience watching the wild animals in their natural environment.
    That said, I am glad they are dangerous to hunters who want to kill them. Won't you defend yourself too?
    I am glad the Ringling Brothers are ending their elephant acts. Hope they have devised a thoughtful plan to let these elephants live out their days.

32. stemked

stemked Moderator

Sally,
    Thanks for the comment. Yes, they truly are gorgeous snakes. The story is that a friend of mine, a herpetologist actually, needed to take some equipment home over the summer while our science building is being renovated. After I helped him move it we went to a nearby wildlife refuge where we expected to engage mostly in bird photography, but were holding out for an encounter of the really rare kind.

We were running late (I had to get back to Indianapolis to pick up my daughter after school) suddenly saw the snake stretched out over the road waiting to get run over. We both thought at first it was simply a Northern Watersnake, quite common in the area, we were both wrong. They are unpatterened on the dorsum, but once you get a glimpse of the ventral side they are unmistakable. These snakes are fast, the only other snake I've seen that match these are Coachwhips. Fortunately it descended to stand its ground and we were able to get it clear of the road (it did bite my buddy, but he's pretty used to that). As this is a federally listed animal we really didn't want to handle it. We got our photos and then it took off. It covered 20yards in nothing flat back into the marsh.
    Over a 15 year period I have only seen them twice before and then only have one very poor image to prove it. So we were both thrilled to see an animal as magnificent and rare as a Copperbelly Watersnake. We had rescued a Painted Turtle a bit before from a road from certain death; I think it was the good Herp Karma from the turtle that landed us the Copperbelly. My buddy tends to think of himself as the good Karma, but I tend to disagree.

33. Thanks for the story, Douglas. By my reasoning (and I'm no expert), your friend can claim the high ground on the karma issue. After all, he's the one who was bitten. Herp karma not to be belittled, however, glad you were able to save the turtle. Would I like to go on an outing with you!

34. Mary: No argument from me! One just has to watch out if close to the baby elephants, even when your intentions are pacific!

35. Absolutely Robin. The key is to let them be and not interfere with their lifestyle, particularly mothers with cubs/kids. Observe, admire, and appreciate. Use long lenses, as getting too close with a camera can stress them out as well, not to mention the danger to the photographer, and the unfairness to the animal, which would likely be shot if it attacks.
    In my last trip to Tanzania, one of the guys pre-requested permission to get off the vehicle to shoot at ground level. I followed suit, as I also thought it was a cool idea. Someone with a gun was assigned to accompany our vehicle, and we each paid $150 for this extra "privilege". So the two of us got off of the vehicle on a number of occasions. When we were shooting, we exchanged gallows humor of who would get into the van first in the event of danger. Here is one of the shots, where we disrupted these adolescent lions' siesta.
    Thinking back, I would never do it again. While the images may enjoy marginal benefits, it is not fair to the animals, especially if they happen to respond and die in the process. I had an opportunity to communicate with the tour leader months after and he also said he would never allow it again.
    00dwT0-563064284.jpg

36. Great images this week.

37. Mary,
    I wish more people would consider your position, and remain at a respectful distance from wild animals. Many people simply don't know, or understand that the animal will likely pay the price for human indiscretion. I can't begin to catalog all the stupidity I've seen in our own national parks on the part of people in the name of getting a picture. I have no doubt that many who participate in this forum have seen the same things on countless occasions. The lapses in judgement so often lead to tragic results. (I'm leaving the bison calf in Yellowstone alone, or I'll go off a deep end).
    The flip side is when wild animals become conditioned to undesirable human behavior (feeding wild animals) and respond accordingly. It can be very difficult to stay away from the horses on Assateague when an entire family decides to park in your campsite hoping for a handout.

38. respectful distance from wild animals​
    Laura, the bison calf incident was terrible and it's especially hard to forget the 2003 Timothy Treadwell tragedy.
    The Wildlife Photography Considerations section of this page (link) is fitting and relevant.