Monday in Nature, May 1, 2017

Edwin Barkdoll

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week.

One of my favorite ways of communicating a message in nature is the local amphibian calls beginning with the wood frogs soon after the ice breaks up on the ponds, followed soon after by the spring peepers. Here’s a male peeper confidently broadcasting to any female within range.

841218997_DSC_7447peeperWEB.thumb.jpg.7c1bac0d02538f1c6e26cead68b232bf.jpg

• Like 4
Test

Clone out the green plant and out of focus branch and make it vertical and I think it would be amazing.

Thanks for the suggestion, had thought about that initially, then rejected the idea. Is this what you had in mind: Rufous Hummingbird ?

Are you in the narrow zone for Allen's?

Yup, I am. Santa Barbara, South Coast of California. Even with this help: Rufous vs. Allen’s I can't make the distinction positively though I am leaning towards male Allen. As is usually the case, I am probably wrong on that one. Too bad I never saw its back; might have given the decisive clue.

Thanks for the suggestion, had thought about that initially, then rejected the idea. Is this what you had in mind: Rufous Hummingbird ?

Yup, I am. Santa Barbara, South Coast of California. Even with this help: Rufous vs. Allen’s I can't make the distinction positively though I am leaning towards male Allen. As is usually the case, I am probably wrong on that one. Too bad I never saw its back; might have given the decisive clue.

Yes, I really like that version. As far as ID, I'm a Midwesterner, so won't try to act like I know how to differentiate Rufous/Allen's. But looking at the article you link, it appears to me that your bird has the tail feathers of a juvenile or female Rufous. :)

Edited by Rod Sorensen

Very stimulating shots so far this week!

Dieter excellent capture, whatever it is!

Bill, just heard and saw the first black and white of the year. We usually have several in our woods (Maine). Don't know if the same ones come back.

Sanford, great gopher shot.

Sally, nice scum, as usual. ;)

Test