Monday in Nature, March 19, 2017.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Gup, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gup

Gup Gup

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week.

2. Gup

Gup Gup

In the spirit of our regular MiN thread, and because I'd hate to see it disappear, and because I happen to be up later than usual, I thought I would take the bull by the horns. I haven't been authorized to host MiN or asked by anyone to do so and I hope I haven't overstepped in any way but I do have an image ready to go. This was the view from my living room window earlier this week so I thought I'd share it.

Sunset 850 7394.jpg

D800E, Sigma ART 35mm, f/9, 1/80, ISO 1600

3. Gup

Gup Gup

• ...and it's Sunday!
    • Not even a week since Laura stepped back and already we have the beginnings of anarchy.
    • I'm never ready on a Sunday!

sallymack and dcstep like this.
  4. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Gup, thanks for starting the thread. Again, I greatly appreciate Laura carrying on this thankless job for almost four years without missing it even once.

If Gup would like to start these threads in the future, I would imagine it shouldn't be a problem. However, while starting it occasionally isn't a big deal, the commitment to do it week after week is hard. If Gup is not able to start it all the time, maybe we can use an approach that one person should start it first thing on Monday. In that case please make sure that nobody else has started the weekly thread and please keep the Monday tradition.

sallymack and Gup like this.
  5. I usually take a picture I would like to submit after having submitted one earlier on Monday. :)

But MiN's one-picture limit prevents the forum from seeming like a private club and forces us to choose one photo, I hope the tradition will be upheld.

Thanks, Gup, Shun. I hope Laura will submit one of her gorgeous photos, I never knew fungi could be beautiful. --Sally

PN-turkey-5055.jpg

gordonjb, Gup, Andrew Gosden and 3 others like this.
  6. It's indeed Monday in New Zealand.
    And here's what dawn looked like on Friday in the northwest corner of California:
    D02-_MG_8546-2.jpg

Supriyo, gordonjb, Mary Doo and 5 others like this.
  7. I'll jump in from Monday in New Zealand nature. Here is a Tui, who sports a white cravat and blue smoking jacket when he goes out.
    Tui_0356_W.jpg

Andrew Gosden and bnelson like this.
  8. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Spring has finally arrived. Anna's hummingbird

_D5A3575.jpg

9. One from a gallery I am working on from our Presidents' Day weekend trip to Zion. PP a must and a challenge due to the flat, cloudy, rainy light. (But the only conditions under which you will ever find these waterfalls in Zion NP.)
    Zion Waterfall-4988a-sml.jpg

10. Not too well prepared this week, but glad to see the tradition maintained, here are a some geese on Lake Bomoseen, looking serene, not knowing, we presume, that a couple of days later we'd have a foot of snow and the blinking lake would freeze again! high key geese.jpg

11. Gup, thanks for starting the thread. Bluebonnets are up in Texas. Nature Monday 3-20-2017.jpg

stemked, Gup and Edwin Barkdoll like this.
  12. Bill, I've never seen bluebonnets and for the first time, seeing your photo, I've realized that they are lupines similar to ones we have in profusion up here in Maine.

Great character shot, Shun!

Beautiful landscape, Leslie.

Winter, pitiful as it has been this year, still has our pond in its icy grip. Here's a backswimmer under the ice.

2017-03-18 08-00-10 (B,Radius28,Smoothing6) backswimmer under ice WEB.jpg

13. Thank you Gup, happy to see Nature lives on MiN3-20-2017x1000.JPG

14. Thanks for starting Gup.
    IMG_4810_Vergeet mij niet.jpg

Gup likes this.
  15. Gup likes this.
  16. Harbinger of Spring, which was up about 2-3 weeks earlier than normal in Southwestern PA. The flowering head isn't much bigger than my thumbnail - this photo was taken with my 55mm macro fully racked out and connected to a 36mm extension tube. DSC_1568-2aa.jpg

Andrew Gosden and Mary Doo like this.
  17. These Eqyptian geese. they are always up to something. ;)
    EgyptianGeese.jpg

ShunCheung, Gup and Andrew Gosden like this.
  18. stemked

stemked Moderator

I also had a chance to head to Texas last week:

[​IMG]

Crested Carcara, Brazoria Wildlife Refuge

19. Thanks for keeping Nature alive!
    Spring is springing on Daffodil Hill Daffodill.jpg

Gerald Cafferty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.