Monday in Nature July 3, 2017

sallymack

Monday, again! Haven't had coffee, yet, but couldn't wait to get started. Come join the fun!

My photo is the bloom of the Epiphyllum oxypetalum. Each bud blooms for one night, spectacularly, an all-out effort. A strong fragrance accompanies the bloom.

PN-2219.thumb.jpg.b06126265f27f740ee933c9b48beb93d.jpg

• Like 5

Loons generally like very clear water, and the water in Sunrise Lake here in Benson Vt is a bit cloudy, but for the last couple of years we've had a solitary, lone loon. I don't know if there's a mate, but this one swims around the middle of the lake, and unlike most loons I've known, seems pretty tolerant of people and comes up soon after diving. It's never close to shore, and this is an un-resized crop from an original 6000 x 4000 shot, but since it's only about a 40 acre lake, one can see it at least. Not exactly a contest winner as a photograph, but it's a rare bird around here. I heard it calling the other day. I hope there are some loon chicks hiding somewhere.loon.JPG.db280b324b0bdd36aa2fbaa638d51b40.JPG
  • Like 1

Juvenile bald eagle, in Milpitas, California.

Last December, a pair of bald eagles built a nest on a tree by an elementary school in Milpitas, in Silicon Valley. The egg hatched in April: Baby bald eagle hatches at Milpitas school

This chick is growing up fast. By late June, it was flying around already. I captured this image last Saturday, July 1.

_D5A2651.jpg.5ac42a98b98187706ef66a74dd881e6a.jpg

• Like 5

Photographed a number of Master Gardeners' gardens last week as a photographer of the URI Master Gardener "Shutterbug" group. That was our project. As I was photographing bees on milkweed plants, suddenly this guy appeared. At first I thought it was an Assassin Bug, but later verified it to be a Red Milkweed Beetle, Tetraopes Tetrophthalmus. - Glad the Latin spelling is over with. ;)

2090029875_RedMilkweedBeetle_Tetraopestetrophthalmus.thumb.jpg.fd681ed03f9496ee41d1fd35266ae918.jpg

Edited by Mary Doo
  • Like 5

I'm sorry, I don't know why I am unable to upload any images for about a week now. Nothing is working for me~

I wonder what the issue is, and whether there is anything the rest of us can help. Incidentally, does anybody else have this problem?

Over the years a number of people have had difficulty posting images, both before and after we switched over to photo.net 2.0. Obviously 2.0 still has its share of software glitches, but I am not sure that is the issue the OP is experiencing here.

I wonder what the issue is, and whether there is anything the rest of us can help. Incidentally, does anybody else have this problem?

Over the years a number of people have had difficulty posting images, both before and after we switched over to photo.net 2.0. Obviously 2.0 still has its share of software glitches, but I am not sure that is the issue the OP is experiencing here.

Perhaps a screenprint would help? Also, was she using a PC or cell phone?

Uploading an image in PN 2.0 is confusing the first time or two but easier after learning the steps and correct order. Does PN offer simple, detailed instructions on how to upload images for those who would benefit from them?

1208376176_seasnail2.thumb.jpg.0177bfadf9ac4c961eadeecd58cb00ea.jpg

I came across this sea snail just above a tide pool surface at Hendry's Beach, Santa Barbara, California, during a minus tide last week. Sea anemones are below the surface in the tide pool. I have been trying to identify the species of sea snail, but Google images was of no help. If anyone knows what species it is, I would appreciate knowing.

• Like 3

Again, I don't mean to minimize the issues in 2.0 in general, but even before this year, plenty of people had difficulty uploading images to threads. If anything, I think perhaps it is a bit easier to do so in 2.0. However, 2.0 is still fairly new, and I am sure most members are more familiar with the old way to do things. And I also don't want to single out anyone with difficulty; perhaps there are indeed glitches related to this issue in the system.

To attach images to a thread, it is best to start with a new line and then click on "Upload a File" on the right. (The screen-capture I am using below is for starting a brand new thread so that it looks slightly different.) In Windows, the file explorer will appear in a separate window. from which you can select an image file. If the upload is successful, you can select to attach a Thumbnail or Full Image. I always post a full image, and please make sure that your image doesn't exceed 1000 pixels in the long dimension. In 2.0, you can upload multiple images to a thread, and there is no longer the strange requirement to provide a caption, etc.

PN_PostImage.thumb.jpg.1ba9994d267b2888a093d17eb1361d7b.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung

Testing attaching again my earlier image to this thread. The URL for that image is:

https://d1ro734fq21xhf.cloudfront.net/attachments/2017/07/1460931_4e198ace560919eda706e9ae40d4b447.jpg

Jut click on the image icon from the icons across the top of your post. The image icon is the one with the mountain and sun, to the right of the smiley icon. Paste the URL into the pop-up window provided by the icon and then click on "insert."

1460931_4e198ace560919eda706e9ae40d4b447.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung

Thanks for replying ShunCheung. Since the format has changed I have had problems getting it right. Sometimes I try 4 or 5 time per image. Lately it hasn't been working at all. I know I mistakenly posted the same image 5 times last night, so I quickly deleted it. I'm going to read through your instructions again and test a few times. What is a BBCode?