Monday in Nature, July 24, 2017

ShunCheung

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week.

Pied-billed grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) with juvenile.

While the juvenile is essentially the same size as the adult, the feather pattern in the head is still different, and the stripe on the bill that gives this bird its name hasn't appeared yet.

_5005328.thumb.jpg.61695a01af5f5f15d04b7ce46d6df186.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 4

Shot this last week at a location close to a friend's house. Not really that exciting with the light pollution and the milkyway being hardly visible to my eye. Used ISO 6400 on the Olympus EM1 II with the 7-12mm lens and surprised to see it noisy at low light (as it's very good when not in low light even at ISO 6400). Anyhow, here it is, after attempts to remove some noise, and using contrast, clarity, etc. to make the milkyway halfway visible.

TivertonMilkyWay1000.thumb.jpg.24b9f922d1c93c22c8ada7ab85e4b7e7.jpg

• Like 5

Shot this last week at a location close to a friend's house. Not really that exciting with the light pollution and the milkyway being hardly visible to my eye. Used ISO 6400 on the Olympus EM1 II with the 7-12mm lens and surprised to see it noisy at low light (as it's very good when not in low light even at ISO 6400). Anyhow, here it is, after attempts to remove some noise, and using contrast, clarity, etc. to make the milkyway halfway visible.

Turned out pretty good and noise is in line with the DPReview test results. You might try under 25-seconds so that the star trails are not some visible. DxO's PRIME noise reduction will take out all that chrominance. You might take their free trial to see if you like it otherwise.

• Like 1

Turned out pretty good and noise is in line with the DPReview test results. You might try under 25-seconds so that the star trails are not some visible. DxO's PRIME noise reduction will take out all that chrominance. You might take their free trial to see if you like it otherwise.

Thanks. Actually the exposure was only 11 seconds on this one at ISO-6400. Overall I tried to limit exposure time to less than 20 seconds, with ISO-3200 exposing longer, etc. I have been using Imagenomic's Noiseware for years, which is really good. Perhaps I should try out something else as you suggested as well. Or perhaps this image is as far as it can go.

• Like 1

This is a typical road-side scene shot on July 1st on Prince Edward Island.

These are lupins, which grow in abundance there. I seldom shoot flowers but couldn't resist these colours.

I used a D800E and an AF50mm f1.4 at f11.

387164898_Lupins10007694.thumb.jpg.de2937fc6530143243582c046f332465.jpg

My presence here is limited these days, as I've mentioned before, due to an incompatibility that exists between my computer set-up and the new Photo net format. I've given up trying to solve it or emailing Jin for help. I will continue to try posting here on Mondays but P.net after 15 years is no longer my homepage or even a daily visit for me.

I wish you all continued success in your photographic pursuits.

Gup.

• Like 5

Nice to know that someone else looks that closely at dung. And you even know who dung it. Nice! :)

I confess that I have more photos of dung related things than most might think is healthy! To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld they range from the "known knowns" to the "unknown unknowns".

• Like 1
Test

Matthew, thanks. One of these alone isn't much to look at, but when many grow into one another they become quite contorted with lots of folds. The black spore mass adds to the unique texture overall. We're starting to see this species more often in a local park, particularly on downed green ash.

Edwin, I look at dung far more now than I used to. Even though I'm looking for fungi, there's always plenty to look at. I admit I've never seen fish scales, and if I did, I'm not sure I'd recognize them. Well, after seeing your fine image I just might. Thanks for sharing that one.

Gup,

I sympathize with your frustrations and appreciate that you'll try to post here when possible. Your absence will be noticed and I will miss you. Your contributions to MiN have been a mainstay for a long time. You bring joy and levity to the forum through your photography and accompanying tales. I'm not a dog person but I like Elwood. I hope you're able to stop in and visit. But, if that's not possible due to technical difficulties, then I wish you the best in all good things life has to offer.