Monday in Nature, July 10, 2017

ShunCheung

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week.

American avocet (Recurvirostra americana) in flight, in Menlo Park, California

AvocetFlight_5049.thumb.jpg.969f0f3c6fd2f01b16793d9047aa3f1a.jpg

• Like 5

It's always a delight to see a Spicebush Swallowtail Caterpillar. This one is probably in its fifth instar. I photographed one two years ago when I found it on my spicebush. This year I found it on a Sassafras tree - a "weed tree" that you probably have in your backyard but never paid any attention to. Incidentally, I also found a larvae in an earlier instar stage on my spicebush a few days ago; then another in a very early stage this morning!

From what I reard, the Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly lays eggs only on the spicebush (where it got the name) or the sassafras.

SpicebushCaterpillar.thumb.jpg.33b67783a86addd7f4738f48c68eb593.jpg

• Like 5

Hi everyone. I've been road-tripping on Canada's east coast the last couple of weeks.

This is a close-up of the business end of a pine sawyer, an almost prehistoric looking bug that has fascinated me for years. Here you can see the tiny fangs and pincers used when gnawing and feeding. They are awkward flyers that often land with an ungraceful thump. I watched a large one land on the bill of a friend's baseball cap once, knocking the hat down over the guy's eyes, causing him to scream and react in a manner he immediately wished he could have back. They often emit a distinct whine when I pick them up. They have a claw on the end of each leg that anchors them tight when need be, like when they land on your arm and you viciously attempt to shake them off. But, of all their attributes I find the articulating neck the most intriguing. I have a great amount of respect for any insect that turns his head to listen to me.

1861344172_PineSawyerwm9987679.jpg.3cc9c578ad669818df6864756278d03a.jpg

I shot this at Fundy National Park in New Brunswick last week with a D800E and an AF-S 105 f2.8 macro lens.

• Like 5

It's always a delight to see a Spicebush Swallowtail Caterpillar. This one is probably in its fifth instar. I photographed one two years ago when I found it on my spicebush. This year I found it on a Sassafras tree - a "weed tree" that you probably have in your backyard but never paid any attention to. Incidentally, I also found a larvae in an earlier instar stage on my spicebush a few days ago; then another in a very early stage this morning!

From what I reard, the Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly lays eggs only on the spicebush (where it got the name) or the sassafras.

[ATTACH=full]1197822[/ATTACH]

Excellent shot Mary. So vibrant!

• Like 3

Excellent shot Mary. So vibrant!

I could not find this guy yesterday. Think it should be in the pupating stage now. I hope it is in a safe place - and will become a beautiful spicebush swallowtail butterfly. I sure hope it wasn't eaten by a bird or into harm's way. Meanwhile, the lavae I mentioned has now turned bright green, but still very small. Maybe I'll photograph it later.

• Like 2

Had a problem posting yesterday. Thought I would post my last flower shot since a member who shoots flowers will be showing her work next friday at Kelby's gallery in Oldsmar, FL not far from here. Anyone else from pnet going? Orchid.jpg.0207be8c6624e75cd0b374a23c65d214.jpg
  • Like 4