Monday in Nature January 23, 2017

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: <strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on <a href="https://psa-photo.org/index.php?nature-nature-definition">PSA</a> rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum.</em></strong> Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version.<br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. </em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good Morning,<br>

The Nature Forum is different from most forums on Photo.net because it has formal guidelines that originate outside the site. They are based on Photographic Society of America rules for nature photography competitions which are respected worldwide. There has been inconsistency in the application of those guidelines for many reasons, and it has led to confusion. Shun is the moderator of this forum and I'm responsible for the thread. We work together and together we will be more consistent with the guidelines. A new set of guidelines will be written for folks to refer. The new intro above is pretty clear.</p>

<p>Monday in Nature has always been about great nature photography that spans a vast array of subjects from under the oceans to sky above. The nature forum, as a whole, can serve to help educate interested folks as to exactly what nature photography is, or is not, according to the definitions set by PSA. "Nature Photography" is something. It has parameters and definition. The strength here is that, collectively we share an interest, and we share our knowledge that is based in that interest. We love nature, we share what we know, and photography is where we meet.</p>

<p>The arrival of snow geese in the local area is always a joy. Every image on Monday in Nature is a celebration.</p><div>00eKSR-567481584.thumb.JPG.02f0cd620b1b946625b177379ccedfac.JPG</div>

<p>While hiking in the Point Reyes National Seashore in northern California, I saw this coyote (<em >Canis latrans</em>) hunting, right alongside of the hiking trial. Plenty of hikers were snapping images of him with their mobile phones. I was using a Nikon 200-500mm/f5.6 AF-S VR zoom on a full-35mm-frame body, and for a while I was using the 200mm end. That was how close he was. Unfortunately for the coyote but maybe fortunately for the prey, the hunt wasn't successful while I was there.</p><div>00eKTr-567486084.thumb.jpg.f6debeb4b6018161463a298237174320.jpg</div>

<p>Just to comment on the forum guidelines, I would also rule against photos of animals in captivity. Would that be out of line?<br>

And, for Shun, is the guideline against 'hand of man' for the entire forum or just MIN?<br>

And one more, does the 'hand of man' guideline ever enter into the landscape genre (or the new forum)?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And, for Shun, is the guideline against 'hand of man' for the entire forum or just MIN?<br /> And one more, does the 'hand of man' guideline ever enter into the landscape genre (or the new forum)?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Gup, to keep things simple, rather than reciting the entire PSA Guidelines and their exceptions: <a href="http://www.psa-photo.org/index.php?nature-nature-definition" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.psa-photo.org/index.php?nature-nature-definition</a>, images without showing human activities is our simple way to determine whether an image is "nature" or not. For example, jet trails in the sky are human made. However, there can be some exceptions.</p>

<p>That definition certainly applies to Monday in Nature images, and this forum uses that definition. However, on non-Monday-in-Nature threads, for example, you could post an image showing your lighting or macro set up to capture a nature image. The lighting and macro equipment are obviously human made, but you are certainly allowed to post an image showing your setup as part of that discussion.</p>

<p>The Landscape Forum is rather new on photo.net: http://www.photo.net/landscape-photography-forum/<br>

I am not a moderator there and in fact I usually don't participate there. Landscape photography can mean different things to different people. Some people include lighthouses, bridges, etc. It is up to that forum to specify their definition for landscape photography.</p>

<p>Again, these Monday in Nature threads are here so that we all have some fun and hopefully promote nature photography. It is not Laura and my objective to nit pick each little item that is outside of our definition for nature photography. I would appreciate that everybody use their good judgment not to show human activities on these threads. For images that don't meet our guidelines here, many forums on photo.net have their weekly image threads, such as Canon EOS Thursday, Nikon Wednesday, Mirrorless Monday ....</p>

<p>Thanks for the response and the link, Shun. I had never read the PSA explanation before.<br>

I guess I was wondering if shots of birds at feeders were allowable in the regular Nature threads. I'll post one to find out.</p>

<p>Gup,<br>

Up until this week the intro had the statement " declare captive subjects". PSA doesn't allow captive subjects because a zoo is definitely hand of man, but that is one area where we diverge. The dividing line is show the subject, not the captivity. There are a lot of captive plants in arboretums, animals in zoos and aquariums. I'll return the statement to the intro next week. There have been many images of captive plants and animals on MiN over the years, and all have been declared, afaik.</p>

<p>I've been somewhat lax and decided to stop being so. The intro was rewritten to hopefully clarify things. We're here to have a good time and promote nature photography, as well as nature. I also don't want to nit pic, but it's not a free for all either. That's why I linked the PSA rules. I'm going to write a new set of guidelines for this thread, but till then the link to PSA will help.</p>

<p>Specifically to your questions: Landscape photography for the Nature Forum should not include buildings or roads (paved or gravel or dirt) or human made stuff. That standard is not necessarily applicable to the Lansdcape Forum. To date it has not been, and that's probably a good thing. Birds at feeders: birds yes, feeders no. We've allowed for the edge of things and your feeder may be covered with snow. The image should always be about the nature and not what people do.</p>