Monday in Nature February 25, 2019

PuntaColorada

Please refer to the guidelines for posting to this thread here:

Monday in Nature Guildelines

Shun will not be available to initiate this thread for a few weeks. He asked me to fill in to get things going each Monday until he is once again able to start it. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings back!

Mushrooms and sphagnum moss on a poplar stump in northern Ontario.

1205627568_Mushroomsandmoss.thumb.jpg.817066eabe5892adf6ed33f47c76c4f8.jpg

• Like 5

[ATTACH=full]1284724[/ATTACH]

Olympus EM1 II with Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm lens @400mm (800 in 35 mm). 1/1000s; f/6.3; ISO 400.

Mary, I very nearly did a Yellowstone winter trip a couple years ago, but had to cancel last minute. If you would have any inkling to share info on how you did yours, as well as any advice on transportation into the park, prime photo locations, lodging, etc I would really like to hear it. I am wanting to get out there in the winter as soon as possible. Thanks. Rod

• Like 1

Mary, I very nearly did a Yellowstone winter trip a couple years ago, but had to cancel last minute. If you would have any inkling to share info on how you did yours, as well as any advice on transportation into the park, prime photo locations, lodging, etc I would really like to hear it. I am wanting to get out there in the winter as soon as possible. Thanks. Rod

Rod, Yellowstone in winter was a beautiful world, a winter wonderland. I joined the PSA tour that was led by John Gerlach and Barbara Eddy. John (link) said he has led Yellowstone tours for 25 years (? - seems like a lot, not sure if I heard it wrong).

For a winter trip, I believe it makes sense to join a photo tour group rather than venturing out on your own. I flew to Bozeman and took a shuttle to West Yellowstone. At first I was thinking of joining two other people to also visit the Grand Teton, but later heard that it could be closed. The Government shut down was ongoing and, fortunately, the local businesses were supporting the services. If you book well in advance, you may be lucky enough to stay inside Yellowstone near the Old Faithful. We stayed at downtown Yellowstone at the 3 Bears Motel. two snow coaches picked us up every morning and took us back to the hotel. Barbara Eddy had a chef prepare excellent meals for the group.

Although we did not get to go to Lamar Valley (supposed to have more wildlife), we all enjoyed the trip tremendously. The snow-clad landscapes were exceptional, just beautiful. Living in the Northeast, I am no stranger to snow, but our regular snow scenes are not in the same league. Elk and bison were plentiful, and we saw an occasional fox and coyote. We did not see any wolf. One downside for photographers is that the snow coaches (and people in snowmobiles) are not allowed to stop wherever they please. So in quite a number of occasions, we just enjoyed the elk and bison from the vehicle as we pas them by. Naturally there were lots geysers. The frozen Grand Canyon falls looked very different then the way I remembered it when I last as it in the fall; and of course the Mammoth Hots Springs were by no means "hot". There were plenty of lovely landscape photography opportunities/

Edited by Mary Doo
  • Like 2

Thanks Mary, they are delicious. This is the same species which becomes white, when it is cultivated in the dark and is sold as enoki muushroom.

... and you have so beautifully captured them on photograph. Did you stack your images?

• Like 1

Mary,

Thanks for this info. My thoughts had been to try to get 2 or 3 other photographers and rent a snow coach for a week and share the cost. Thought that would give the ultimate flexibility. In reality, though, that is easier said than done with lots of variables. Probably makes sense to spend a little more and let someone else manage the logistics.

Rod

Rod, Yellowstone in winter was a beautiful world, a winter wonderland. I joined the PSA tour that was led by John Gerlach and Barbara Eddy. John (link) said he has led Yellowstone tours for 25 years (? - seems like a lot, not sure if I heard it wrong).

For a winter trip, I believe it makes sense to join a photo tour group rather than venturing out on your own. I flew to Bozeman and took a shuttle to West Yellowstone. At first I was thinking of joining two other people to also visit the Grand Teton, but later heard that it could be closed. The Government shut down was ongoing and, fortunately, the local businesses were supporting the services. If you book well in advance, you may be lucky enough to stay inside Yellowstone near the Old Faithful. We stayed at downtown Yellowstone at the 3 Bears Motel. two snow coaches picked us up every morning and took us back to the hotel. Barbara Eddy had a chef prepare excellent meals for the group.

Although we did not get to go to Lamar Valley (supposed to have more wildlife), we all enjoyed the trip tremendously. The snow-clad landscapes were exceptional, just beautiful. Living in the Northeast, I am no stranger to snow, but our regular snow scenes are not in the same league. Elk and bison were plentiful, and we saw an occasional fox and coyote. We did not see any wolf. One downside for photographers is that the snow coaches (and people in snowmobiles) are not allowed to stop wherever they please. So in quite a number of occasions, we just enjoyed the elk and bison from the vehicle as we pas them by. Naturally there were lots geysers. The frozen Grand Canyon falls looked very different then the way I remembered it when I last as it in the fall; and of course the Mammoth Hots Springs were by no means "hot". There were plenty of lovely landscape photography opportunities/

• Like 1

let someone else manage the logistics.

Believe this is the best way unless you are familiar with Yellowstone, which is gigantic. Landscapes look different under the snow and it can be confusing and much time can be wasted when you are looking to go to a specific place.