Monday in Nature, August 21, 2017 -- The Day of the Solar Eclipse

ShunCheung

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week.

Humpback (??) whales feeding in Monterey Bay, California, August 20, 2017

Full-35mm-frame body with zoom lens at 130mm, f5, 1/1250 sec and ISO 200

I have been on whale watching trips probably over a dozen times, quite a few times in the Monterey Bay area. I was on the same boat there two years ago, and that was supposed to be an excellent trip. However, yesterday was by far the best trip I have ever been on. I captured over a thousand images in about an hour and half, but plenty of those have the Monterey Peninsula in the background, and sometimes you can see the buildings there or other whale-watching boats so that they don't quite quality as nature images in the stricter sense.

_D5A5174.thumb.jpg.5862a8ef0de0dacf6c3a725b07979abc.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 5

Rather than photograph the sun I went to a bay a short distance from where I live. Low tide and the eclipse were at the same time and many birds would be feeding when the skies darkened. In my location 88% of the sun was blocked and was curious if this would change birds feeding habits or cause them to head for roosts. The light dimmed and seemed to take on a warmer hue, no effect on the birds that I could tell. Think you need the total eclipse to see wildlife being fooled.

Here's the bay on Vancouver Island....

DSC_3466.jpg.6a3f8f5158d3043e7e22d5b181304ad0.jpg

• Like 3

Just back from Idaho. Here's my first look. Check chromosphere and prominences at 12:00, 1:00, and 3:00. More to come...

Great - You went all the way there! :)

I am happy to have made my own "solar filter" from this experience. Made two of them: 77mm and 72mm using filter rings with solar film.

• Like 2

Great - You went all the way there! :)

I am happy to have made my own "solar filter" from this experience. Made two of them: 77mm and 72mm using filter rings with solar film.

The solar film is great when there's no wind; however, on the Wyoming/Nebraska border we had significant wind and my buddy had trouble with his solar film filter vibrating in the wind. We ultimately put our SUVs into a wind-break pattern and he got down close to one, to get some great pictures. OTOH, with my glass filter, I stood out in the open, with no trouble.

Just another factor to consider in our planning for 2024. ;-)

• Like 1

The solar film is great when there's no wind; however, on the Wyoming/Nebraska border we had significant wind and my buddy had trouble with his solar film filter vibrating in the wind.

My DIY solar filter was wind-proof, insulated within a real filter ring with a UV filter on top. I did take a picture to document it:

SolarFilter.thumb.jpg.44087f67db2c79ec3b8bdfb5ff05d57e.jpg

My DIY solar filter was wind-proof, insulated within a real filter ring with a UV filter on top. I did take a picture to document it:

Now that's a great DIY project.

My buddy, simply taped the film to the big end of his lens-hood. It worked in his testing, but there was no wind.

BTW, I paid just over $100 for a glass filter to fit the lenshood of my 500/f4.

• Like 1

my buddy had trouble with his solar film filter vibrating in the wind.

I ordered film two times from different suppliers, and discovered they come in a variety of weights and flimsiness factors. I did similar to Mary, but using cardboard to shape and form the filter. I did not have much wind, but I don't think anything less than a stiff breeze would have impacted me.

Do we need a new thread to talk about our experiences?

On the centerline a few miles south of Broken Bow, Nebraska, Ash Creek Canyon Rd.,in the middle of a cornfield.

Running three cameras and doing so alone led to missing shots of the corona! Don't ask me how that happened! I did get a (sloppy) 3rd contact-because of my failure at corona, and some partial shots though, showing a couple of sunspots likely as big as the Earth. Lots of flare on the Diamond ring, but this one's corona was not that impressive, I think. The diamond ring does show a bunch of prominences though.

2024's has a duration of totality of nearly 4 minutes. 2:35 was way too short. Always an adventure. And yes, windy. Had to trash some shots because of movement of that rig

Solar%20Eclipse%202017-125-M.jpg

Solar%20Eclipse%202017-104-L.jpg

Solar%20Eclipse%202017-127-L.jpg

• Like 3