Monday in Nature, 9 December 2019

DavidTriplett

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc.

Each member please post no more than just one image to this weekly thread per week.

This week's offering is another sandpiper on the beach, from last March's trip to SoCal. The weather here has been wintry and dismal, with a heavy dose of inversion, so now I'm pining for a bit of sun, surf, and sand. Apparently, this is my coping mechanism...

MiN-191209-4669.thumb.jpg.eaed0215dddbb4826e2f9d3e1877e99f.jpg

• Like 5

Marbled Godwit most likely

That's what I thought as well, except for the red breast, which is hard to see in the low res posting, but clear at 1:1 in LR. Some maps show SoCal in the Hudsonian's secondary range, others do not. SoCal is unquestionably in the Marbled Godwit's normal range.

That's what I thought as well, except for the red breast, which is hard to see in the low res posting, but clear at 1:1 in LR. Some maps show SoCal in the Hudsonian's secondary range, others do not. SoCal is unquestionably in the Marbled Godwit's normal range.

I have compared the Marbled and Hudsonian as well. Somehow your Godwit does not look identical to the Marbled.

• Like 1

I have compared the Marbled and Hudsonian as well.

According to the California Bird Records Committee, the Hudsonian Godwit is a rare, but documented visitor to California. See <LINK> I remain open the high likelihood that this is a Marbled, rather than a Hudsonian Godwit, but, like Mary, for me the color patterns are not a perfect match. I ran this up the flagpole with Mom, our resident wildlife expert, and she was leaning more to the Hudsonian than the Marbled variety. If it is a Hudsonian, then this image has more significance than I had imagined!

Edited by DavidTriplett

the Hudsonian Godwit is a rare, but documented visitor to California

Looked at ebird and there are plenty of Hudsonian Godwit sightings for California - but not a single one for March 2019 - actually not a single on before May. Did you see it in flight - or better yet, got a picture of it in flight? Where in SoCal was this?

Did you see it in flight - or better yet, got a picture of it in flight? Where in SoCal was this?

This was on the beach just south of LAX, in mid-March. I'll have to check my images for any in-flight shots, later tonight. I make no claim to being an expert. I'm hoping I'll find some images that will clarify the issue. I had no idea I would raise such a ruckus when I posted this yesterday!:)

I make no claim to being an expert.

Neither do I. Always eager to learn something new though.

I had no idea I would raise such a ruckus when I posted this yesterday!

You asked and I answered your question - can't even recall to have heard of a Hudsonian Godwit before. Cornell's website doesn't even list California for the Hudsonian Godwit - that' usually the first site I check.

I am afraid that the Hudsonian Godwit and Marbled Godwit indeed look very similar. Both have a "two-toned" bill that is orange near the head and black on the tip.

Hudsonian Godwit Similar Species to, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

The Marbled seems to have finer feather patterns. If David has a closer, larger image for his bird, it may help ID.

This bird we are discussing certainly looks to me like it could be a Marbled Godwit. If that bird is common in the area where the image was taken and the Hudsonian would be uncommon to rare, why exactly are we still thinking that might be what it is? Maybe I'm too pragmatic or not wishful enough. This sort of reminds me of the eastern and western meadowlark. If you see a meadowlark in the eastern or western range, then you know which it is. If you are in the uncommon part where the ranges overlap, then it could be either and you can only positively identify by hearing the song. It seems like we are talking about a "western meadowlark in the west". I thinks it's a western. :)