Monday in Nature, 25 September 2017

Leslie Reid

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week.

I’ve been experimenting with lighting for hand-held macro. This image was made with a macro lens, ISO 200, f/20, 1/200s; and it is cropped to about 80% of the original frame. The light here is from the camera’s built-in flash, modified by a home-made diffusor as described in a video in a recent photonet post (here). For some reason, the diffusor seems to act kind of like a blind--I can put the camera a lot closer to insects with the diffusor on the camera than without it. (The down-side of the on-camera flash is that it's not fast enough to fully stop the wing motion)

D04-_MG_1504-Edit-3.jpg.becb005a8d798f559e76a5bf31cd6799.jpg

Edited by Leslie Reid
  • Like 5

Hello friends. I've just unpacked from a 5 week road-trip to Canada's east coast. Our National Parks and Historic sites offered free admission this year and we took full advantage. Our primary destination was Newfoundland, a place I love dearly. Photo opportunities abound at almost every turn. I think I have inventory here now for more than a few MINs.

These two were found high on a cliff overlooking the ocean at Bono Vista. I'll leave it to you to identify them, me being somewhat fungi-challenged.

135300482_Mushrooms1000wm8046.thumb.jpg.70729b968acf651ccc4f07250c493dab.jpg

D800E, AF-S 28-70mm

• Like 5

Southern lapwing eggs. the poor girl who laid these must have hurt for a while. The lapwings are not that big but these eggs are abut the size of small chicken eggs (or extra large according to Canadian egg grading standards). I checked yesterday and they had not hatched. Mom and dad were very aggressive so I need a hard hat or longer lens when I go back. Hopefully my camera stuff will arrive here in a week or so.

1522534941_Lapwingeggshidden.jpg.c4ce237c4c58ee87b12a33135091acce.jpg

• Like 2

Gup, it's an Amanita sp. There aren't enough important features showing to make a positive photo ID unless one is intimately acquainted with the genus in that area. One need not know the names of things in the landscape to enjoy a walk with the smell of sea air and the sounds of waves with of a sea breeze. I love the maritime provinces.
  • Like 1

Katherine, which beach? I ended up in Clearwater after still loving Jones Beach after decades. Unfortunately, minimal waves here unlike the west coast with rocks, breaking waves and spray.

Hi Bob, yes, Jones Beach. I'm only 5 minutes away. We get some great surf with an offshore storm, especially during a full moon. I'm never ungrateful for living so close to such beauty. Not a sunbather anymore though! By the way, this is Jones Beach, Long Island NY. East Coast. I know there are a few LI's

Edited by katsone