Monday In Nature - 14 August 2017

DavidTriplett

I won't be able to post tomorrow (Monday), so I thought I'd get a little head start and kick off the thread this week. As the 2017 Solar Eclipse seems to be the event of the moment, here is a test image using my intended kit:

Sol-8957a-sml.thumb.jpg.985eaebed42e7a3887912a9bc73ed06a.jpg

Nikon D7100 + Tamron 150-600mm/5-6.3 at 600mm/16, ISO 400, 1/40 sec., with home-made solar filter using black polymer filter sheet purchased from Thousand Oaks Optical. Image processed and cropped in LR5. Note the lone sun spot in the lower-right quadrant. We have our spot reserved west of Rexburg, ID, and we're hopeful for an outstanding experience. Happy trails to all our fellow eclipsenics!

• Like 5

Double crested cormorant, Nikon D500 with 200-500mm/f5.6 AF-S VR.

What is unusual is that this bird took off towards me. Even though the D500 has excellent AF, the 200-500mm is a slow lens and had a bit of a hard time keeping every frame sharp while I was shooting at 10 frames/second.

_5005935.thumb.jpg.db3f454f41c57d4e8fac6cbb921466b6.jpg

• Like 5

We spent the weekend in the woods of north central Pennsylvania at a foray. It's always fun to get together with other fungally minded folks and crawl around in the forest. I collected 3 species that were new to me, one being this lovely Humaria hemisphaerica.The soft blueish white and thick hairs are distinctive and quite eye catching.

mushrooms1.thumb.JPG.c239778e5f09be63dd449fd8963f4128.JPG

• Like 5

jpalmer, when you post on MiN there is always a mushroom expert. Some are expert photographers and many of us are quite familiar with fungi.

You have a small Amanita, but without better and more details it's not possible to assign a species. Genus is often good enough for just about anything, so it's acceptable to call it Amanita sp.(the sp means species). At my foray last weekend there was considerable discussion/argument among the experts about a couple of the specimens. They never came to a conclusion.

• Like 1

We spent the weekend in the woods of north central Pennsylvania at a foray. It's always fun to get together with other fungally minded folks and crawl around in the forest. I collected 3 species that were new to me, one being this lovely Humaria hemisphaerica.The soft blueish white and thick hairs are distinctive and quite eye catching.

[ATTACH=full]1204008[/ATTACH]

Laura, I like the pun, "eye catching" for an eyelash cup fungus

Test

Sallymack, it looks like your western pond turtle has survived quite a scrape

Thanks, Edwin. I wondered if the turtle had been injured. S/he moved very slowly even when threatened by our presence. On the path leading from the parking lot to the beach was not a good place for a turtle. After taking a few shots from increasingly closer, we stepped around the turtle and went our way, hoping s/he made it safely to the nearby pond.