Monday in Nature, 10 September 2018

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ShunCheung, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Basic Guidelines
    Each member please post no more than just one image to this weekly thread per week.

Snowy egret flight

_D5A7627.jpg

2. Flicker flicked at a distant tree as I trekked with a bird-watching group on Saturday. This is an extreme crop even at 800mm.
    flicker_1024.jpg
    Olympus EM1 II camera with Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm lens @ 400mm (800mm in 35mm). 1/1600s f/6.3 ISO 1600

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  3. Here's a little something from the South Pacific. It really is blue. For those of us used to the aqua of the Atlantic it's startling.

flying fish.jpg

4. American White Pelican....arriving Nature Monday 9-10-2018.jpg at White Rock Lake, Dallas, Texas.

5. I think that's a downy woodpecker, not a flicker. Still, nice shot.

Mary Doo likes this.
  6. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Moderator Staff Member

Been Bugs the last while..this yesterday. DSC_8587 (1024x681).jpg

7. You are right. A flicker would have some red color. Funny I automatically assumed it was a flicker without giving it much thought as experienced birders in the group said it was. But the truth is everyone was staring at a faraway monochromatic silhouette

dcstep likes this.
  8. Late summer blahscapes actually hide some beautiful monochromatic plant life Cat tail Mid-day.jpg

9. Cynomys sp.
    WY-Devils-Tower-150511-013.jpg
    at Devils Tower​

10. Roger G

Roger G Roger G

The larger bill size actually suggests a Hairy Woodpecker rather than Downy. Maybe that's splitting "feathers" as they are very similar otherwise

Mary Doo likes this.
  11. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Hi Mary, was your image captured in the New England area (North-East US)? That may also help us narrow down the type of woodpecker this one may be.

Mary Doo likes this.
  12. Cape Cod. Trying to compare Hairy and Downy at the moment. Have to say they look too close.

13. It certainly looks like a female hairy woodpecker due the longer beak. I also wish to correct my statement in a prior post that a flicker would have color and a downy doesn't, as the male downy does have red plumage. I should know, I see downy woodpeckers in my backyard. :oops:

Male Downy Woodpecker at backyard
    MaleDowny.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  14. Both Downy and Hairy woodpeckers are common across most of the country - Downy is more common. Bill looks a little more like a Hairy. Would have been hard to tell from the distance you were at, but I can always tell by the size as the Hairy is significantly larger - 30-40% larger. My common woodpeckers in Wisconsin are Downy (medium), Hairy (medium large), Red-bellied (medium large), Flicker (large), Pileated (very large). For me, recognizing size is best way to differentiate Downy from Hairy or Red-bellied from Flicker.

15. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Yeah, I checked Cornell University's web site. Downy and Hairy woodpeckers look very similar. It is hard to tell them apart based on just one image that was captured from afar.

16. The more I look at it, the more I am convinced it's a female Hairy Woodpecker. It was a teeny sillouette when we spotted it from quite a distance. Then it flew away. Thanks everyone - I seriously need to go to a birding class now.

Roger G likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.